03 KX 125 Forks Shim Stack

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Older post but I got to comment.

No expert here but I've had around 15 sets of KYB forks apart and have never seen the "maltese cross" check valve: I'm 100% sure that will not be very effective once the cross slightly rotates off the port holes and 99+% sure that is no KYB OEM check valve. There would have to be something that would keep it oriented and inline with the proper holes in the base valve.

NOTE - Delta valves are only used in clamped valving for that reason although I'm aware that people have built 'pinned delta valve shims' (daisy pedals) in an attempt to modify some valving White Power forks.

CC - Your check plate valve isn't going to be very effective IMO once it slightly rotates out of position. IW's checkplate and valve stack is the typical KYB arrangement. Likely the same person who flipped the spring cup LOL :lol: (I did mention one time that I found the same flipped spring cup on a set of forks correct?)

IW - If your high speed compression setting is still too firm and you could still use a softening on the low speed side removing the first high speed shim beyond the crossover shim would be my next step. This should soften the whole high/low speed gambit.

You soon do hit a point though where you cannot just keep removing BV shims to soften compression valving. When your down to a certain thickness the shims have no room to deflect and the valving can not flow enough oil. 1) One of the easy things that is quite effective is to double or triple the thickness of your 'clamping shim' - this gives room for the shims to flex and allows higher flow rates of oil. 2) Changing the steepness of the taper in the shim stack is another way to soften the valving while keeping the same number of shims 3) Increasing the thickness of the crossover shim will soften the low speed compression and bring in the high speed compression valving later (relative to the dynamic speed of the fork's action) 4) Going with thinner shims is also an excellent way to tailor your fork's reaction. But this can be costly since your buying lots of shims and making trial and error changes and it seems like most people on this forum are concerned with maximum results with minimal dollars. That is why I guess I brought up method 1 and 3 since you only need to buy four new shims to have a pretty major effect on your valving and you do not have to mess with any mid-valve issues.

As with all changes to valving be very careful when first checking out the fork action afterward - It is easy to think you have it figured out when you start pulling and installing shims only to totally screw up something like the high speed flow rate and causing the forks hydraulic lock when crossing a 3 inch obstacle at speed.

I only mention the above items or methods to clue some riders who may think only about shuffling around or removing shims as the solutions to their fork issues.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Thanks for your insight Charlie... I will be giving it a full run for it's money in a few weeks....

BTW... where the heck you been?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: What IC said...

Yep.

I'm not under the impression that the check valves in my BVs are OEM. It was in the BV when I got the forks..which has nothing to do with where any parts that make up the BV came from or who put them in.

There's a decal on the forks that says 'Pro Pilot'...and of course we all know that (the decal) makes them the most wonderfully fine-tuned and excellently set up forks in the whole world.

I recall that check being indexed somehow..but don't recal exactly how..pins extending from the petals I think.

**edit** The shaft has a flat that matches a flat on the valve. It's held in 'check'. :wink:

What!!?? :shock: It's not all shuffing and removing!!??

:wink:
Last edited by canyncarvr on 10:29 am Aug 11 2009, edited 1 time in total.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Thanks for your insight Charlie... I will be giving it a full run for it's money in a few weeks....

BTW... where the heck you been?
Tough year last year in many ways - did little bike riding and yes, even less forum lurking. But - I'M BACK!!!
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'I'm 100% sure that will not be very effective once the cross slightly rotates off the port holes and 99+% sure that is no KYB OEM check valve. There would have to be something that would keep it oriented and inline with the proper holes in the base valve.'

The shaft has a flat that orients the check plate. The plate has NO 'pins' extending into the piston...the petals are flat.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

I have the charting somewhere for setting shim stacks for different riding conditions with race tech valves.
I know it is a different valve but charting could be a good reference as to
the changes to make for what you are looking for...
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Indawoods - I've been reading a lot of old posts and saw in one of those that we are about the same weight. I've got '04 forks and am gonna assume that they are the same as the '03s.

Did you stick with removing just the 3 shims? Any other changes?

Thanks for your input.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

No other changes other than clicker settings... you will be adjusting them harder in both rebound and compression by 3 - 5 clicks.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "