KX Forks for KDX220 97

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Byte

KX Forks for KDX220 97

Post by Byte »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/kawasaki ... 240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KXF250-R ... 240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KX125-KX ... 240%3A1318

WHich forks would better suit my KDX 220?

I am thinking of heving these forks re-tuned in US somehwere and then having them shipped down to me.

Your thoughts on this option and recommended tuners in USA to do thi sjob for me?

Byte
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

First set; 2002 forks. They are NOT the same as 1999-2001 as the seller suggests. The '02 fork is 2mm larger diameter. The forks, T-clamps, axle, axle spacers are all unique to the 2002. I know, I own one.

Second set; I don't think anyone on the board here has used KX250F (four stroke) forks in the mod before. You won't find much, if any, information on how these forks might work, what other parts work with them as well. ETC. It would be a crapshoot at best even if you got the entire front end as a single buy because I don't know if the stem will from your KDX will fit the triple clamp or not. Also I have no idea what the overall length of the fork happens to be.

Third set; too expensive. You should be able to buy a complete front end including the wheel/brake/brake cable/master cyl/ the whole setup for under $400 and under $300 without the wheel. I've got a spare '02 wheel sitting around here somewhere I'd sell for $50 plus shipping though.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Byte

Post by Byte »

Thanks Jerry.

So, ignoring cost, which is the best suited front end set to suit my 1997 kdx220?

Byte
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I'd seek out a 2002 year complete with the T clamp, wheel, axle, brake including the master cylinder with the caliper and the rotor already on the wheel as well. Most guys parting out will piece each of those things separate, but if you get hold of the seller early in the auction and tell him you want the entire front end, then you may just score a good deal with a good price.

Be prepared to take those forks apart though. They have a badder in them that some riders don't like. Personally, I can't tell the difference wether or not the badder is installed or not. (I crash just as hard and just as often). Even so, you will want to restack the shim, clean everything and replace the fork oil with something other than that fish oil they come shipped with.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Byte

Post by Byte »

THanks Jerry.

I will pursue this option then.

In case I cnanot obtian the front wheel with the set, what size front wheel / rim and tyre shoudl I be getting to accomodating the KX front end?

Byte
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I think I have a front wheel for a 2002 KX250 in my garage. I'd sell it for $50 plus shipping. No tire; it's too expensive to ship w/a tire. Just buy one locally.
Jerry

muddertrucker

Post by muddertrucker »

Ski, do you have an 02 axle for sale?
4 wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul
Gallery!
dansavage

Post by dansavage »

Ski, I'm in the following position...

Have an 02 KX250 front end, less the tire/wheel assembly.

I checked the fiche and it shows the wheel, axle, and spacers as being the same between 01 and 02 KX250s. Is this a misprint on Kawa's behalf? I didn't go back further in year models to see if/when they change, didn't have time last night.

Just want to guard against purchasing the wrong stuff for my project. Any insight you can add would be appreciated.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I bought a spare front rim off eBay with the plans to use it all ready-to-go for a pit stop during an enduro but never used it. It's just the rim and bearings. No rotor, axle or anything else. I paid $50 so if anyone is wanting it, speak up. $50 plus the actual shipping charges. If you are anywhere near, come up and we can go for a ride too!
Jerry

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Great deal Ski! :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Byte

Post by Byte »

i have source a few dealers who can supply me with the complete front end for kx in Australia.

is there anything else i need for front end that was not mentioned here?

Byte
Byte

Post by Byte »

>|<>QBB<
skipro3 wrote:I'd seek out a 2002 year complete with the T clamp, wheel, axle, brake including the master cylinder with the caliper and the rotor already on the wheel as well. Most guys parting out will piece each of those things separate, but if you get hold of the seller early in the auction and tell him you want the entire front end, then you may just score a good deal with a good price.

Be prepared to take those forks apart though. They have a badder in them that some riders don't like. Personally, I can't tell the difference wether or not the badder is installed or not. (I crash just as hard and just as often). Even so, you will want to restack the shim, clean everything and replace the fork oil with something other than that fish oil they come shipped with.
Skipro3 -

http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6454

This link shows a guy choosign the KX500 over the KX250 forks for numerous reasons.

Your thoughts on this please? (which option is better)?

Byte
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Byte
That's not what I'm reading. He used the lower clamp of a KX500 but the forks of a 2002 KX125.

I've ridden a late model KX500 with the forks properly set up using gold valves. It was plush. Too plush for my likes. Hit a water bar and it's so fully absorbed that the bike won't jump!
Jerry

Byte

Post by Byte »

You are correct. Thanks for that.

What about 2003 forks - I read they are unique and better than the 2002 forks.

BTW - the supplier who can supply me the KX2002 front end says there is no part number on the forks. How woudl I know these are indeed the 2002 KX250 forks without this id then?

Byte
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

The only way to KNOW you are getting 2002 year forks is to open them up and compare them to a diagram from Kawasaki. They are different than 2001 and earlier years and they are different than 2003 and later years. Not much going forward, but enough to be obvious to someone looking.

Here's my recommendation. Don't let someone else make the decision for you of what forks to put on your bike. Do the research and educate yourself on what each does and why their unique characteristics would or wouldn't work for your specific needs.
Jerry

Byte

Post by Byte »

Thanks SkirPro3.

The dealer has just measured these 2002 forks (KX250).

top of the fork leg is 55mm
lower clamp area 58mm
chrome slider area 46mm

Are you able to confirm if these measurements concur with 2002 forks?

Byte