Why KX Forks?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Byte

Why KX Forks?

Post by Byte »

why do the mod in first place?

how does kdx differ to kx suspension?

byte
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

If you weigh 150 lbs.. you will be fine with your stock forks.

The KX forks don't have the underhand like KDX forks, they have rebound and compression settings and they do not flex like KDX forks. A lot more tuneable....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Byte

Post by Byte »

THanks Inda.

This is exactly the info I was chasing.

I weigh around 230lbs with gear.

AS th ewbike is second hand - is there anyway of telling if the exsiting forks I have have already been changed to KX?

Byte
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Are they inverted?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Byte

Post by Byte »

the bike is at my bros atm - 4000kms away.

i will be at his place on april 18/19 and will have a look.

thanks.

so - as a heads up should inverted forks be kx or kdx?

Byte
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Inverted on KX. The 93-94 KDX forks were inverted and they were blue....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Byte

Post by Byte »

Thanks Inda.

I have just called my bro.

The rubber boots on the front forks start at top and finish mid way down.

Are these inverted ?

Byte
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Nope...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Byte

Post by Byte »

Ok - thanks for the conirmation. I will begin the quest to have these stock KDX forks changed for KX.

Byte
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

you will appreciate the advantage of the KX forks over the KDX. Also, at your size, consider a rebuild and respring on the rear shock. Nothing makes a bike faster than suspension dialed in for the rider and the terrain.
I'd say that suspension should be the first mod done to any KDX bike.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Byte

Post by Byte »

thanks jerry - recommended rebuils spec and spring size for the rear shock?

Byte
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

There are a few ways to go around rebuilding a rear shock. Here in the USA are several reputable firms that manufacture or gather unique valving for the shock as well as oil types, nitrogen pressures and spring weights and rates. It is also possible to rebuild the shock to the factory specs on your own as long as you have a place that can charge the shock body with the nitrogen. The rebuild takes some special tools but once purchased or fabricated, there's not much cost in replaceable parts for the shock. A rear shock should be rebuilt about every 3 or 4 years of average riding. What's average? I'd say between 5 and 10 hours a month of riding. That would equate to be between 200 and 500 hours of riding.
For a rear shock spring size recommendation, go to race tech's website and answer their questions. It will offer suggestions for springs for the rear KDX as well as the front KDX and KX forks too.

In the end, I would recommend taking the shock to a known shock rebuilder locally that is recommended by other riders in your area. If he's any good, he'll talk to you about your bike, riding style and other things before rebuilding.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Byte

Post by Byte »

Hey Jerry -

Can I have your avatar?

Byte