Yet another fork question...

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
morbidphil0622

Yet another fork question...

Post by morbidphil0622 »

Did a search and found no specific answer to my question so....

I have a guy willing to sell me the entire front end off of a 1992 kx500. sounds like a pretty sweet deal and after doing some research I found that the kx500 upper and lower triple clamps are a direct bolt on.. I pretty much have the instalation and fabrication of the headlight part figured out..

My question is weather or not these forks will be an actual upgrade over my stock kdx suspension or if I am just going for the "bling" factor with theese pretty blue inverted forks? Anybody ever ridden a kx500? I am not going to be hitting the tracks but there are a few jumps where I ride and the stock setup is way too soft to be taking these landings.. Although the occasional kicker ramp is always on my mind..
Morbidphil0622
"There's nothing like being on the dirt.. Except for being in the air on my bike!!"
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

They will be better for 2 reasons... they don't have nearly the underhang and they have heavier springs in them than your current setup.

The thing I would look for on such old forks is the seals... are they leaking? The tubes... are they nicked up? The valves in good shape?

If they are not on the bike, you can check this stuff out pretty good before diving in....

What kind of price is he wanting for them?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

if it's cheap and a fairly straight bolt on, why not.
It is my understanding that they're not gonna be as good as a newer (01-09) USD, but that's still an improvment over the stock. Might be better to either get some stiffer springs, or wait for a newer set of forks.

my 0.000002 cent
morbidphil0622

Post by morbidphil0622 »

Thank you very much for such quick responses, much appreciated. The fact that the kx500 forks will not perform as well as a more modern fork is something I am willing to accept as I was thinking future upgrades with the kx 250 top triple and a new set of forks is always a possibility. These should be up to par for now though..

As far as price goes this guy wants to sell me the entire front setup for 300. This includes both triple clamps, both forks in "great" condition (I will check this out myself), front wheel with axle, rotor, and full brake setup.. sounds like a great deal to me..
"There's nothing like being on the dirt.. Except for being in the air on my bike!!"
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

For the whole ball of wax and a direct bolt-on, it is a decent deal as long as everything is in great shape.... if not I would keep looking....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "