Getting ready to swap to KX forks. Last minute ????s

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
ettev

Getting ready to swap to KX forks. Last minute ????s

Post by ettev »

Some answers to the following last minute questions will hopefully help me perform a 1998 KX fork install onto a 2002 KDX220:

1) Is there an absolute need for the use of a press? If so, for what work?

2) Can someone post a picture of where the stem spacer needs to go? I'm talking about the washers or KX stem nut used as a spacer around the tri-clamp.

3) What are the torque specs are for a) the top main stem nut, b) the upper and lower triple clamp pinch bolts, c) the axle clamp pinch bolts and d) the front axle bolt for the '98 KX setup?

4) Will the front rotor from my KDX work on the KX wheel I got or do I need the KX rotor as well? I have read that the KDX caliper and cable works but how about the rotor?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

1. Yes

2. On top of the top clamp

3. a, same as you manual states for the KDX b, 10-12 ft lbs c, look up 98 kx fork specs d, look up 98 axle bolt specs

4. Probably not, check bolt pattern, size and offset.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
ettev

Post by ettev »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:1. Yes

2. On top of the top clamp

3. a, same as you manual states for the KDX b, 10-12 ft lbs c, look up 98 kx fork specs d, look up 98 axle bolt specs

4. Probably not, check bolt pattern, size and offset.
1. Thanks.
2. I've found posts that say under the top clamp and some (including yours say on top. Will either work?
3. I don't have the KDX or the KX manual. Anyone know off the top of your head or have a manual you can check?
4. Thought so. I'll get the KX rotor.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Sorry... Under is correct! First the stem nut, then the spacer... then the top clamp then the top bolt!

*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Manual... top right. :wink:

Everyone needs a manual!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

ettev

Post by ettev »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Manual... top right. :wink:

Everyone needs a manual!
Saw that site. Is it capable to print stuff from that on-line manual? Is it a file that downloads to your machine or do they just give you access a webpage? Is the online manual better than the factory service manual?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

All online... print whatever you want....

I think it's allot better than the factory manual personally. Some of the old farts want a book... :lol:

I have both and use the online version allot more!

The paper manual will never be as clear as the online manual...

*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Byte

Post by Byte »

ettev.

may i ask why you used 1998 KX forks for this job on to your 2002KDX220?

Does it matter if you use different year kx forks (eariler) on your later model kdx200?

Byte
pjmac28
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pjmac28 »

I agree with Inda that the online is a good. There are some things though the online doesn't have that when you go to reassemble you may scratch your head and go :blink: . Just make sure you either document or take pictures when you disassemble even though you are doing a conversion, a lot of it is still relative to each. One example I ran into is the barrels for the KIPS and what is defined as 'open' and what is defined as 'closed'. Took me awhile to figure it out. Then again that is what this place is for!
:supz:
I think I paid $40 for 5 years of access to cyclepedia, and 90-95% of it is dead on IMO.

You can call/email them with suggestions and errors in their manual which I did for the KIPS barrels but never saw any changes to the online.