Why always a kawi fork swap? What about Yami?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
pElf28p

Why always a kawi fork swap? What about Yami?

Post by pElf28p »

I am sure there is a good reason for this, but how come everyone does the KX swap vs say, a YZ swap?
I can get a pair of 02yzf forks cheap and I have just begun looking into whether or not it would be worth trying to make the swap on my 02KDX220. I'm not really sure where to start with this grand adventure, considering that I am interested in doing a potential yz fork swap...Any advice? and yes I have been using the search function...not a whole lot of information on the yz swap.
Thanks
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

It all has to do with the stem.... It is very easy to swap the KDX stem into the KX lower clamp. All it might require is a little knurling and press it in and you are ready for the swap. Some just press directly.

I was going to use a 92 front end originally but the stem was so wide it would have never worked.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
pElf28p

Post by pElf28p »

Do you, or anyone else know if 02yzf250 forks will fit with any given year/model kx triple clamp?
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

My first experiance with the fork swap was with a Yamaha set of forks. I don't recall what fork/clamp combo we used though. (It was a friend's bike) Anyway, the front wheel and brake needed to be Yamaha as well. The stock or KX wheel or brake will not work with Yamaha forks.

BTW someone put Showa's on their KDX, so it's not all been KX forks for the swaps. I think folks use KX because of the ease of getting them set up for trail riding.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
saddletramp
Supporting Member

Post by saddletramp »

I think that the Yamaha forks would be a good choice, their SSS technology is really good.
2000 KDX 200 97 KX 125 Front End
1996 CR 250
03 RM 65 2000 YZ 80