Brake line routing on KX125 forks fitted to a KDX

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
gertie6car

Brake line routing on KX125 forks fitted to a KDX

Post by gertie6car »

Hi,

I have read several posts on here re callipers and brake lines when converting a KDX to use USD forks. I would like to use the KX125 calliper but am not happy with the route the KX brake line takes - I would prefer to see it run up the fork leg and across the top of the headlamp plastic to the master cylinder rather than curving across the light (would have been the number plate on the KX).

As I see it there are two options,

1, get a new brake line made up slightly longer to get the route I want but using the stock KX routing under the bottom of the fork leg.

or

2, use the "old" KDX brake line but route it "CR" style on the inside of the fork and then fabricate a bracket on the front of the fork protector to hold it secure. This is the cheaper route but I am not sure about how robust the fork protector is and how to avoid the bracket limiting the movement of the protector through its upper guide. (Front end came off a KX125 2000 model)

Any pictures or comments based on your experiences of these set ups (or others) would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Gert
maicocpa

Post by maicocpa »

Gert,

When I first did the USD conversion on my 2006 200 I used a 2002 KX 125 front end that has the brake hose going down the front leg and under the fork bottom. The stock hose was too short to use with the headlight but would have been fine if I were using a number plate. I took measurements to determine the hose length needed and ordered a stainless brake hose in that length (54 inches if I recall).

I feel the fork leg guards on the 2002 are too skimpy to support a hose clamp.

I ended up switching the whole front end to a 2006 KX 250f unit and that uses the KDX brake routing. The fork leg gaurds are much more robust and have a lug for the clamp. Again, the stock KX 250f brake hose is too short if using the headlight so I used the stock KDX brake setup and it worked perfectly. See: http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6687
2006 KDX 200, Bunch o' Maicos, Bunch o' kids' bikes
gertie6car

Post by gertie6car »

Hi Maicocpa,

thanks for the info - much appreciated. Great bike by the way!! You got the entire front end for $150!! thats £100! a great deal by any stretch of the imagination!!

I had a bit of a play earlier today with the old kdx line I have, found out it has screw threaded banjo's on it so I can buy an angled one and fit to get around the calliper bleed nipple. I could then clamp it in the brake line guide that clamps to the upper fork and incorporates the guide for the fork protectors, thats quite rigid and much better able to support the line compared to the fork shield itself.

The price of the banjo fitting is £3 against £33 so might try that first but I think I am likely to opt for a new, longer line as you suggest and run it as per the original KX routing under the bottom of the leg.

Thanks and kind regards,

Gert
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I've got wimpy UFO fork guards on my USDs...hold the brake line to the guard with a tie-wrap. I've used two tie-wraps in the 2-3 years I've had the forks on. Not real sure about that timeframe (and not interested in checking on it, either)..but at least two years.

How robust is THAT? :wink:

I've got Yamaha brakeline holder parts sitting in the parts bucket that have a nice curve to 'em. I haven't seen a reason to bother fitting them to the fork guards.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
gertie6car

Post by gertie6car »

Hi CC,

if I were just riding off road I would do likewise but the MOT test here is really thorough and zip tied brake lines wont cut it. had a chat with the tester on that one already!
gertie6car

Post by gertie6car »

CC can you post a pic of your set up please?

Gert