kx125 fork oil weight and quantity

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
gertie6car

kx125 fork oil weight and quantity

Post by gertie6car »

Hi Guys,

My kdx rebuild is going well!. I have just bought a 2000 kx125 usd front end and will be replacing the seals in the forks this weekend. Can anyone advise the quantity and weight of oil I should use?

Thanks in advance

Gert
gertie6car

Post by gertie6car »

16 views and no one knows what level? surely not please help if you can cheers!!!

gert
muddertrucker

Post by muddertrucker »

Someone had posted the link to team greens web site wich gave recommondation for oil weight and viscosity but I can't find it anymore. If my memory sevres me right it said 5 weight a t 90 mm for both 125 and 250. These recommendation were for stock forks in off road (not mx track) riding conditions. I put my 97s at 100mm.

Is there a post somewhere on this site that shows how each adjustment affects the handling of the bike ie: stiffer springs do..... and more oil does......? I'd like to tune my supension for optimum performance but have no idea how. If I knew more or less how the oil level affected the ride before I left for the trail I might be able to notice the difference. I seem to have trouble noticing the effect that minor tuning (playing with clickers)has so imagine How useless I am at diciding if I need to add or remove shims from the stack.
4 wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul
Gallery!
gertie6car

Post by gertie6car »

Hi muddertrucker,

thanks for the response. Looks like I am going to have to buy a manual for the forks to see what oil level weight is required, had hoped someone on here would have know.

cheers

Gert
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

It's subjective.... are you riding MX tracks like the frontend was intended? Probably not... usually between 95 and 105mm is what most use. I suggest 5wt oil.

FYI... The manual will give you a between figure too.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

If they barely bottom on the absolute worst stuff with the suggested levels, it's about right. Too much bottoming, add oil - too harsh, remove oil. Like Inda said, it depends on how and where you ride.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.