KX EMIG triple clamp

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
KDXer
Supporting Member

KX EMIG triple clamp

Post by KDXer »

Bad news..... :sad:

Due to the (bulky) design of the EMIG top clamp, the petrol tank is interfereing with the full range of motion. When I say interfereing I mean it just hits the tank at the same time as the stops bottom out (only when turned hard). Also the fork legs come within millimetres of touching the frame. I got the heat gun onto the tank to make room there but I am going to have to weld a tack onto the stops or something similar. I also don't think my WER's arm is going to fit between the fork leg and frame when the steering is turned all the way to the left. Anyone interested in a brand new WER ??? :mad:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Maybe you could use it to slow your front door from slamming shut! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Yep a door stop sounds like the ticket or I could buy another one to make some flash book ends :rolleyes: I reckon the forks would make a good boat anchor too :shock:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

With your bars turned fully to the left how much room do you have between the steering tube and the fork leg. If you know what I mean. I've got my camera back now so I can throw some pics up tomorrow.

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Steering tube and fork leg?
Same amount as in any position!

My forks hit the tank a little right now... I'm not worried about it because I never turn that sharp except when it's parked. I will get some teets welded on the stops soon though....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

The way the arm for the WER goes is in between the left fork leg and the steering tube (head). When I have the bars pointing straight ahead there is a few inch gap, but when I turn the bars to the left the gap decreases. This is looking from the front of the bike with the numberplate off. Its hard to explain I will get some pics tomorrow to help with what I'm trying to say. I was only really worried about the top clamp hitting the tank in a crash. Thanks Vince...

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I've edited and uploaded one of the pic of Vince's front end to show the gap I'm talking about. With the bars all the way to the left it closes that gap right up. I have to double check tomorrow but I'm sure the WER's arm isn't going to fit through the gap it leaves.

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Great. One more thing to wonder about.

I've wondered about the WER mount and KX forks. Haven't asked about it 'cuz I'll probably just get some smart answer from SOME folks along the line of, 'Time to buy a Scotts!'

With the difference in offset of the KX clamps (from Inda's description), there WILL more likely be some interference with the WER hardware.

RE: Uploaded edited pic.

All a matter of semantics, but as Inda said:
'Steering tube and fork leg?
Same amount as in any position! '

The gap you have marked does NOT change. Can't. The travel of the fork tube is concentric to the frame head tube. Sure...the fork tube is going to hit SOMEthing..but not the head tube.

The WER connection...NOT being concentric will hit the fork tube eventually if you turn the forks to the left far enough..and the head tube eventually if you turn to the right far enough.

KayDee: So...you're giving up on the WER?

Inda, regarding your mention of offset diff: You're saying the KX forks are farther forward of the stem, right? How much has to be added to the fork stops?

That 46mm of tube has to fit in there SOMEhow.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Have to add about 1/8" to either side to be on the safe side... no biggie!

--_-- KDX ------ KX (LINES REPRESENT THE BOTTOM T-CLAMP)

bottom T-clamps (measurement from axle to bottom of actual fork clamp area will be offset by the "red" area which is the bottom of the stem) Line up the red area and you can see how "cyan" areas do not line up...and this is where you are measuring ...you cannot use this as a reference.... Get it? :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

No CC I haven't quite given up yet. I'm going to experiment more tomorrow. I'm gonna cry is my $600AU WER is only good for a door stop. I'll post more details and pics tomorrow. I understand what you are saying CC.

CC quoted..
The WER connection...NOT being concentric will hit the fork tube eventually if you turn the forks to the left far enough..and the head tube eventually if you turn to the right far enough.

That is exactly was I was afraid of.

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Well, I wish I would have taken photos, but I ran my WER on the KX set-up and never had a clearance problem. I used the bolt up version of the bracket on the frame behind the stem tube. (Is there a weld version?)
I had more trouble using a vented MX numberplate than anything else. Wait, I'll review my photos maybe I have one but it won't be a close detail, rather an overall front or side view of the bike in general.

Next, my fork tubes barely touch my tank, but they do touch. I did notice though that when I put on my brand new tank, (remember my origonal tank had the cracked filler problem), there was about a mm per side clearance. After about a month of full fuel and use, that got eaten up by the tank "growing" (probably due to the fuel and pressure build up streaching out the plastic in the tank). I RTV'ed 3 O-Rings I slipped over the stop, so now my stops hit before the forks hit the tank and it is a soft hit, not harsh. The only time this might even matter is in a hard get off where the front end slaps the stops violently. Even then, I don't think it's a problem, because the plastic of the tank will give and it's not a rubbing action. I've got several hundered miles on mine without any where near a problem of compromising the tank's integrety.
(Man, my spelling is BAD!)
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Thanks for the graphic, Inda!

A picture is worth a thousand words and all.

I haven't seen the two setups side by side..would have guessed it to be the opposite of what it is to make room for the tubes.

There are times I'm at the fork stops now...and could use more. Less is going to suck on a few trails........ :cry:

Ski: Would you please post a pic of your WER rod with the forks at both left/right stops? I'd like to see it.

Thanks.

BTW...if you have a pressure buildup in your tank you should check your vent hose. Even with a check valve I don't think there should ever be any pressure buildup. That would give a gravity fed carb fits!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I don't think it was much pressure, just that that check valve is slow. I blew into mine to pressurize the tank one time when I was draining some out to fill my weedwacker. I released it from my mouth and noticed air escaped very slowly. On a warm day, full of fuel and shaking around, I imagine that some pressure on the tank's plastic exists enough to push and make it grow just a tad.

I checked all my photos and I don't have one with the WER and KX forks, even though I did use that set-up for a while. I sold the WER to Wibby only because I got a sweet deal on a Scotts and wanted an "on-the-fly" adjustment for the dampner. Sorry.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Well you have me breathing a little easier, Thanks Ski. I will report back tonight with more details. I'm off to experiment.

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Arrrrrrrrrrr phew !!!!! It looks like a winner I'll have it fitted tonight, hopefully. All is well just a very close fit. :supz: Vince, Jerry and CC thank for all of your help with this one... :supz:

lankytim

Post by lankytim »

Ahh struth! I guess it's good that you got it to fit in the end Trev, but I was going to put forth a good case on why I need a WER to dampen my beer keg tap's motion...
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Don't want to get beer wrist do ya? :shock:

Better get the Scotts ... avoids beer wrist better... IMO!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****