KX fork report #1 (Indawoods)

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

KX fork report #1 (Indawoods)

Post by Indawoods »

Well... I've got a light frontend right now, gonna have to drop it some more I think (sitting at 25" from the center of the axle to the bottom of the bottom clamp). Retesting tomorrow after adjustment

As far as the action...about perfect! .42 springs are great for me...a little stiff, and I mean a little and may just be stiction. I think if I remove 1 or 2 of the large washers in the stack, it will be just about right. I haven't hit anything big yet so I don't know about oil level yet. Right now I'm at 135mm which is low by any standard so I will probably have to add some to each fork.

End of report #1 :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXer
Supporting Member

Re: KX fork report #1 (Indawoods)

Post by KDXer »

Indawoods wrote:Well... I've got a light frontend right now, gonna have to drop it some more I think (sitting at 25" from the center of the axle to the bottom of the bottom clamp).
Is that 'loaded' under the bikes weight ??
Do you mean drop the forks further down in the clamps IE. less hanging out of the top clamp ???

Thanks Trev
Last edited by KDXer on 11:16 am Apr 17 2005, edited 1 time in total.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

After a remeasure, it was originally at 25 1/2" (Loaded)
I dropped it to 25"... that is all I can get out of it... will report again tonight.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

When you get a chance could you possibly take a measurement with the bike unloaded ?? Cheers Trev...

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Unloaded it's 25 3/4"

Rode again today and it's much much better! Hard to believe that 1/2" can make that much difference but it does.

I really don't think my forks need anything! They rode great without bottoming and were responsive everywhere. They are soooo much better than stock but that goes without saying! :lol:

I don't know if I just got lucky or what....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Thanks Jerry. Does that mean the the tubes are hanging out the top clamp a fair bit. IE more than 10mm ???

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yep...a fair bit Steve.... :shock:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

LMAO Sorry Vince I'm so used to Thanking Ski :oops:

I'll just bury my head back in the sand now shall I ??? :lol:

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

:lol: :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Hey Vince I was wondering if you could possibly measure the amount of fork tube poking out the top clamp. Mine is at 10MM not including the fork caps thickness. Thanks Trev :lol: :supz:

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That is going to vary from bike to bike... depends on how much "spacer" you have between the tube and the top clamp.... TREV :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

The KX top steering bearing adjuster nut thingy (you know the one) is my spacer. I'm now curious what you have used as the spacer ??? Washers ??? Cheers Vince :supz:

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I got that... a washer... the other bearing adjuster from the KX stem...that much spacer....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

DAMN !!! That's alota spacer. Is that in an attempt to get the front end height back to KDX specs or fine tuning for ride performance ?? Thanks for the info.... Trev

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

OOPS, just to clarify, so you have this from top to bottom;

1. KDX top steering nut 22mm
2. KDX steering stem washer
3. KX top clamp

The spacer consists of;

4. KX top steering nut 24mm
5. KX bearing lock nut
6. Washer

Then;

7. KDX bearing lock nut
8. KDX top bearing.

Am I close or just plain confused ?? Cheers mate...

EDIT I forgot the dust cap...

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

That's what I have Trev, and my forks have some rings grooved into them at the tops of the tubes. I'm on the second groove flush with the top of the upper triple clamp. I'll measure mine tonight and get back to you as well. Off hand, I'd say it's REAL close to 10mm; maybe even 12mm.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Close...

1. KDX top steering nut 22mm
2. KDX steering stem washer
3. KX top clamp

The spacer consists of;

4. Washer
5. KX bearing lock nut
6. KDX bearing lock nut

Then;

7. KDX bearing
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Cheers guys I'm just messing with washers, spacers and stuff ATM and needed some input... Thanks alot... Trev

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Only 25"! That's a fair bit less than the oem setup, Vince.

I don't read anything about the bike being level... front to back attitude.

Before I switch mine, I'm going to mark a spot on the tank/seat I can place a level and have the bike hoizontal...then shoot for the same after the KX forks are on.

Is your bike going 'uphill' just sitting there?

How far are the tops of your forks from the bars? I haven't looked at height difference between the oem bar pedestals and the KX pieces. Do your hands feel 'higher' than they were?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

CC... keep in mind that the KDX bottom clamp is offset at the clamping area by quite a bit. The KX's is not....You cannot use that as a guide.

My bike sits pretty darn level... feels good to ride... no more floating frontend. There is maybe 3mm between the bars and the tubes.... not much at all!

Actually my main concern was the stabilizer... I wanted to make sure it would still reach the post and I had a frontend that was sitting at the right height. I did drop the guide on the pin a bit to sit the pin higher in the mount a little. Hopefully it will not affect it adversely. All indications are good that it is working well. Tested thoroughly last Sunday in the Harescramble.

See... The forks are not touching the bars, even though it may look like it.
Notice where the forks sit in the bottom clamp... up pretty high...

*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****