KX fork report #1 (Indawoods)

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

My bars are in the forward position due to the stabilizer alignment. If the bar clamps were in the stock position, I could drop the frontend even more if I wished. Everything has limits and the forks are no exception. I believe you can find a happy medium somewhere when you do this conversion.

On a side note... the harshness of the forks went away when I was able to drop them the extra 1/2". The forks have to be loaded to do their job correctly. I am very happy with this conversion and would do it again in a heartbeat....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Up pretty high, indeed! Considering the washers under the top clamp AND the forks that high in the clamps...they're a long ways up there!

Thanks for the pics.

Do you feel the bars are high? ...or should I say, do the bars feel high?

What was the 'floating front end' part? Your kdx setup had not been revalved? Skittery?

Your stabilizer will be fine. I've seen posts a whole long longer than yours, and they were just round all the way down. No buttress just under the damper/post 'joint'. No worries!

Sure is clean and purty!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

CC... the bars feel fine... not high...not low... Just right! :razz:

My frontend has not been messed with at all... completely stock and the floating frontend deal was that the frontend was sitting to high causing an unbalanced bike... light in the frontend when pinning the throttle... it would just float and had no control... kinda spooky! :shock:

She's all better now... I can control it pinned and unpinned...dropping it the extra 1/2" did the trick... doesn't push the corners now either...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Sorry. I thought the 'no more floating' was a reference to what your KDX frontend used to feel like.

Consider the source

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Mine looks just like yours Inda. Spacer wise and all, that is. My bars are more forward in that the rebound adjusters are directly under the bars so I can't adjust them without removing the bars or lowering the forks in the clamp. I don't need to anyway, it works fine the way it is. My fork tubes are riding about the same in the clamp as yours too. My Scotts has the straight arm, not stepped down like yours, so I built a stem post out of a screwdriver shank that I ground down and installed the slipper plastic part to. works great. With my bars forward, I tweaked the Scotts stem more forward, not raked back like yours is.
I'll take photos and post. How do I add photos to the reply like you did? I only know how to add to the gallery.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Don't use 'quick reply'..but the 'reply' button.

That will give you an 'img' option where you just put in the URL of the pic.

..which of course needs to BE someplace. Pics in threads aren't uploaded to WoodsRider.

Consider the source

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

That's my problem. I need someplace to upload the pic to. Will gallery work, or does it need to be someplace else?
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

It'll work... but don't tell anyone else K? DOH!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Put it in the gallery... once there... right click and go to properties...copy URL... paste...just make sure it's the smaller version or else you get the board all outta wack!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Thanks Inda. I'll try that tonight!
Jerry