1997 throttle cable route?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
HIKDX

1997 throttle cable route?

Post by HIKDX »

After fiddling with my bike (replacing fork seals, tank off, new handlebars, etc.) it idles really high and fast as if the throttle is stuck. I didn't touch the carb, so Im thinking it must be something like the throuttle cable routing. The throttle feels and sounds like it is snapping all the way back to closed postion so I dont think its the grip sticking on the bark busters or anything like that. The cable coming up out of the carb has a fairly severe angle (but not a kink) heading forward under the tank. From markings on the cable, it looks like it used to go behind the petcock and up under the tank toward the steering stem. But perhaps it is actually meant to go outside of (or left of) the petcock then up toward the front. I looked in my manual and such but saw no picture for routing. Anyone have a 1997 and can share with me where the carb cable goes, particularly after it leaves the carb. would be much appreciated. Or, perhaps there is another reason it is idling so high even with out adjusting the idle or anything on the carb. Is it possible it would do this if the air filter oil is too thick and thus its not getting enough air? Maybe its just about to run out of gas...I know that sometimes makes it idle real fast for a little while (will check that one tommorrow). Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
HIKDX
september9

Post by september9 »

Suprised that this hasn't been moved yet.

Mine is a 98, but I have the cable routed up under the gas tank. Works for me.

I would double check that the throttle tube is not rubbing on the bark busters. It doesn't take much to make it stick. Is your cable frayed anywhere? If it is it needs to be replaced. Is your carb clean? Any jets plugged? Air/Fuel screw set right?
1998 KDX 200
- 2000 KX 125 front end.
- Bills Pipe
- RB Head and Carb !!!
1987 Husqvarna 430XC
- Up-Tite Pipe