What is a fair price?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
layoutd

What is a fair price?

Post by layoutd »

for a 96 kx 250 fork, triple clamps, number plate, fender, and caliper?

does $175 sound fair?
Eatin' ain't Cheatin'
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Got a wheel? Wheel will run around $100 give or take...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
layoutd

Post by layoutd »

can i just put a new hub and axle on the old wheel? probably need a new front wheel anyway, gots me a little ding on it
Eatin' ain't Cheatin'
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

My '99 forks were over $200 (they have been revalved). Clamps (no stem) $30. Last caliper I saw went for something like $30 or so.

Add it all up and it's quite a bit over $175.

Guess 'fair' depends on if you're the buyer or the seller! :wink:

As Inda said, if you're looking to put this on your KDX, you will need summore stuff. Wheel, axle, axle spacers, fork guards, fork guard guides (if you choose), brake rotor....maybe a brake line?

There may be some shop charges in the mix, too...for changing stems, bushing the top clamp (if you choose).

A KDX rim on a KX hub? I don't know about that. Don't know if the spokes are the same. Haven't ever looked at the inner/outer arrangement between the two hubs. Most aftermarket spoke set nipples won't fit in the KDX rim unless you drill it out.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
layoutd

Post by layoutd »

probably going to be more than i can afford (read: my wife will allow).
so if anyone is interested, there are some forks in georgia going for $175. he has pic of them available too.
Eatin' ain't Cheatin'
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

It's good to get clamps and forks at the same time, as a 'set' (sez me). Not all KX forks are the same size..and if it's not known for sure what year of what part is being sold, you could end up with something that doesn't fit.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

$175 for '96 or newer forks in good condition is still a good price. Nothing says you HAVE to buy all the other stuff right away. You could pick up the forks now, then buy the other items as your budget (read: wife) allows. Believe me, most wives can't tell if there's a new part on the bike or not. If mine could, I would be in serious trouble.
Good Luck and let us know if you get them. Lot's of folks here ready to coach you on the how-to's of completing this hop-up.

Oh, and keep in mind, your origonal parts are worth something. Jeff Fredette is usually in the market for stock KDX front end parts. It helped me offset the cost for KX front end.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!