Stem pressed

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I SAID I'd be there!!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
WOLFYMAN

Post by WOLFYMAN »

I totaly appreciate all the advice and that everyone on here looks out for each other. I'm hopeing this was just a ruff start, dont think they under stood the preasure this would take. My buddy said it was cool to watch a blank piece of steel go into a machine and come out a nut. I will post some pics once I get evrything together.

Another ? I noticed that the newer green machines have the kdx style routeing of the front brake line. Will the newer fork covers fit the older kx forks, cause they have the line mount built in. Thanks again guys
WOLFY
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Not all fork guards (covers) fit all forks. I have a set sitting in the garage to attest to that. They DO have the 'hi route' brake clamp..but they don't fit my forks (mine are '99). I could make them fit..but I decided the mounting wouldn't be sturdy enough with the material I'd have to remove.

I don't know of, have not seen a list of 'this hi-route' guard also fits 'these' forks. I'm sure some do.

I have the hardware to put a nice clamp on mine..but the ty-wrap I used has stayed just fine between fork oil changes..so I have yet to pursue it.

Oh...some clamps take more pressure than others. I've heard everything from, 'Piece of cake! What's the problem?' to, 'The thing took over 30 tons, then let loose with a bang and a zing that damn near took my foot off..and THEN it bounced around the shop a few times.'

Then there's the Aussie crew that simply makes smaller (junk) pieces out of the single large (useful) piece they started with when everything shatters. :wink:

To be fair...I think this was how we US'ers found that overseas models have pinned stems. Uh...they don't press out too good.
Last edited by canyncarvr on 11:02 am Aug 05 2008, edited 2 times in total.

Consider the source

WOLFYMAN

Post by WOLFYMAN »

looks like i'll just try the ty-wrap for now thanks
WOLFY
Mountainman650

Post by Mountainman650 »

Hey all, I'm about to attempt a stem swap myself , is this snap ring your talking about between the lower bearing and the bottom tree??
I'm putting an 02' KX 250 front end on my 94' KDX 250..
Any input is much appreciated..
Thanks
Dave
94' KDX 250
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

skipro

Buy the welder and start practicing on scrap. Make sure you're getting good penetration. Work on your technique. Practice horizontal, vertical and upsidedown - its all different.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

:hmm:

Don't know how we got from August to October..and now it's about welding? And, yes...I AM on the last page!!!

Back to your regularly scheduled program..........

Re: 'is this snap ring your talking about between the lower bearing and the bottom tree??

I wouldn't say so. Using 'between' when you're talking about one thing inside another isn't clear (to me anyway). The snap ring is below the bearing. The bearing is put on AFTER the stem is in, so I don't know how that picture fits for 'ya.

The snap ring prevents the stem from being pressed into the bottom clamp too far. The snap ring fits more 'in' the bottom clamp than 'between' it and anything.

Howz that?

Howz THIS!?

...specifically:

BTW..the stem does come out the bottom of the clamp. Sorry to state the obvious, but some have tried to press it out the TOP of the clamp.

oopsie :oops:

Consider the source

jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote::hmm:

Don't know how we got from August to October..and now it's about welding? And, yes...I AM on the last page!!!
Ski said something about welding and was making a comparison suggesting that he possibly could have bought a press and done it himself. I was commenting on his considering buying a welder and that it is a good idea but that he should learn on scrap pieces before he walds om his new trailer. That's how we got from August to October. Which leads to December, the month that Christmas is in.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I thought I'd read your welding comment weeks back. I would'a bet on that, actually. My (heavily laced with sarcasm :wink: ) comment was wondering about the date of the post. Seems Mm's post should'a come well after it.
Which leads to December, the month that Christmas is in.
...which means you're probably wondering when you're going to get my wish list! I'll bet you've been fretting quite about it, 'eh?

COAL 'FER EVERYONE!!

Consider the source

jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

Wait, it's not December yet. October 15th is my birthday. That's today. 43. Ouch.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Yeah...the fact that they're ORANGE does kind'a answer why they seem to be on the queer (odd?) side..but..whatever........

:partyman:

Consider the source

Mountainman650

Post by Mountainman650 »

Thanks ,CC, the picture and info is very helpfull.. :cool:
94' KDX 250
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Along the lines of...'Any input is much appreciated.. '

This is posted here and there, but a couple of things to think about.

Some put-togethers call for knurling of either the stem or the clamp to make them fit properly. Consider use of Loctite's interference fit product.

Have you read this?

Consider having a bushing machined to fit the top clamp that will resolve the need for any shim material...AND give you the extra spacer you need so the threads on the stem 'work'.

There's a good bit of 'any input' to be had. If you have any trouble or any question with a particular aspect of the swap, please do ask. Someone here will have an answer for 'ya.

Consider the source