Loctite green?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Loctite green?

Post by canyncarvr »

There are probably all sorts of ways to do things...and most of them are wrong. Maybe you will get by with a 'wrong' way...maybe you won't.

I've heard several references to Loctite Green being used as a locking/bonding agent in the assembly of the KDX stem to the KX bottom clamp.

OK. Which part number?

290? 609? 648?

The only number I've seen referenced is 290. But that is a wicking thread locking agent. It's used to...uh....lock threads!

609 and 648 are designed for the bonding of cylindrical fitting parts.

...which is, obviously, what the the stem to clamp fit is.

Sure. You could use 290. You could also use Elmer's and color it green.

I'd suggest using the product designed for the application.

Both are available from Fastenal. You can get a local distributor number through the Loctite website.

KX parts are at the machine shop. He said he had no way to knurl the clamp, but could knurl the stem. Hhhmmmm........

Also will have the top clamp bushed to preclude the need for shim stock.

Question??

Is this a true statement? The top clamp does fit above the threads on the stem the spanner ring (loads the bearings) threads to?

If there are any threads on the stem the top clamp has to fit over (doubt it), the bushing is going to be in the way.

Yeah yeah...of little matter. Besides, to get the correct front end height the top clamp will likely need to be as high as it can get.

Still...just wondering about the lower thread set.....

Thanks!!

***edit**
Just ordered a 10ml bottle of 609. Would have preferred 648, but that was harder to get.

From Loctite's Technical Data Sheet (609):

Typical applications: Rotor to shafts in fractional and subfractional horsepower motors. Locks bushings and sleeves in housings on shafts. Augments press fits.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Re: Loctite green?

Post by KDXer »

canyncarvr wrote: Question??

Is this a true statement? The top clamp does fit above the threads on the stem the spanner ring (loads the bearings) threads to?

If there are any threads on the stem the top clamp has to fit over (doubt it), the bushing is going to be in the way.
Yes it is true. My machinist looked at sleeving the stem rather than making the brass bushing that he did but because the top bearing and spanner ring have to slide onto the stem they would be in the way, but I think you already knew that. :grin:

The only threads the top clamp has to pass are the top threads for the big steering stem nut.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Thanks.

And thanks for the bushing idea, too! That will make the whole thing go together with a lot less messing.

When I figure what I need for spacers to raise the top clamp I'm going to look into getting a piece machined for that, too. Maybe a nice stainless sleeve?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

No problem whatsoever. I used the KX spanner ring on top of the KDX spanner ring as a spacer. I haven't made any measurments yet as I found out tonight my impatience & stupidity screwed up the lacing on my KX rim so its off to the shop the be trued. I should learn to read first and wrench later rather than vica versa. Good luck with it all CC.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."