fork swap parts list???

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
220trailrider

fork swap parts list???

Post by 220trailrider »

what exactly will i need to swap kx125 or some 125 forks onto my 220 im looking for a list like ... forks, caliper and brake line front wheel, triple clamp and what else?? I wasnt sure if that was all or if there was more or less
work hard play harder
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Forks and the clamps that fit them.

Front wheel...including the axle/spacers that fits the wheel...AND the forks.

Your KDX caliper will bolt onto most KX forks. **The KDX caliper is configured for a 'high' brakeline route. If you want to use it for the 'low' routing of most KX setups (under the fork leg), you will need a different banjo setup on your longer brake line. You might need to do some grinding on the caliper to fit the different banjo**

A KDX stem to replace the stem in the KX lower clamp.

Some spacers (washers, stem nuts, machine collars) to lift the top clamp high enough to NOT run out of threads when put the top nut on.

Some shim stock (or machined insert) to lessen the diameter of the top clamp stem hole..it will be larger than the KDX stem at that point.

Your worries are less if you get everything from one bike. Then you don't have to worry that the axle you got separately won't fit the bearings in the wheel you got someplace else..and none of the wheel spacers you got some OTHER place will center the wheel in the middle of things.

You may have to knurl the KDX stem for a proper interference fit to the lower KX clamp. Loctite makes a product specifically designed for interference fit pieces that may well work in lieu of knurling either the stem or the bottom clamp.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
220trailrider

Post by 220trailrider »

thank you
work hard play harder
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

The things I mentioned weren't meant to be an absolutely forever true list of things you need. It's what came to mind at the time. I was figuring someone else would chime in with their particulars.....

I think it's a fairly complete list.

Some have machined axles to fit their circumstances, for example. I had a '92 KX wheel machined to fit the bearings used on a '99..'cuz that was the year of the rest of my 'stuff'.

Before you start the swap..measure the 'level' of your bike..meaning, at a given placement of the bike, place a level on the seat/tank and mark where the level has to sit to BE level..mark that placement on your bike. When you have the KX forks in, put the bike back in the same place, put the level in the same place (set to your marks), and adjust the fork heighth in the clamps to be, again, level.

That will get your bike back to where it was before you started. If you match the KX forks in your new clamps to where the KDX forks were....your bike will be high in the front.

In most cases (depends on the spacing of your top clamp) your KX forks will need to be 'up' (sticking out of) the top clamp a good bit to get to the 'same' attitude you had to start with.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!