Stem removal..

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Stem removal..

Post by canyncarvr »

Just got my KDX stem from FRP.

I haven't had a stem removed, so don't know that this is normal. The stem I got had a lot of aluminum 'dust' on it where it had been seated in the KDX lower clamp. With that much metal being removed on a press-out...I don't see how you could re-use a clamp without a knurling process.

The lower KX clamp I have (aluminum stem and clamp..same metal) is perfect where the KX stem was removed. Mirror finish.

Besides that, the stem does not have a smooth finish in that area. Looks closer to threads than a smooth finish.

Sure had a lot of aluminum 'residue' on it, though. The KDX clamp it came out of must've been wasted in the process.

Seems curious is all..........

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Are you saying you bought "just a stem" from FRP? I was under the impression that you were buying a lower triple clamp with stem still in it.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
T-Roy
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by T-Roy »

I was thinking of ordering a stem from Jeff also. Surely he would not send you a wasted stem, or would he... Did he mention anything about knurling when you spoke with him?
2001 KDX 200
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

CC... are you sure it's not the Loc-tite your seeing?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Maybe he just knocked the lower triple clamp off with a sledge hammer. :lol:

KAY DEE EXER will be awake soon. He knows how to crush 'em! :lol:

I know, I know, 50.8 x 101.6. :sad:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Yes, I bought just a stem from FRP.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it. I don't think that. BUT...there was a good lot of the clamp it came OUT of still on the stem when I looked at it.

I didn't ask anything about knurling..and he didn't say.

The stem I got is not knurled..it's just pretty rough..and I can't see taking it OUT of a clamp without resultant damage TO the clamp.

On second thought...I may be all wrong. What was on the stem LOOKED like aluminum, FELT like aluminum. It came off in little strings as aluminum would.

Maybe it was Loctite green residue? Like I said, I've never taken one of the assemblies apart before.

edit summore...being written while Inda prolly sorted it out in the first place!

edit summore...
Dug the towel out of the trash (looked earlier...not far enough down) I used to wipe the stem off with. Looks to be a combination of the two..cuz there is some dark crud on it (old Loctite), but also a good bit of silvery slivers (aluminium) that came off the clamp.

It's all of little consequence. Like I said...just curious is all.

Consider the source

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

ARrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr (fart) oops... Good morning Jason... :razz: Even after cutting through the aluminuim clamp and exploding a wheel, it still came out clean(er than yours sounds). You can see in my gallery the roll pin pic shows the condition of the stems base. I hope all goes well for you CC. I'm off to a machinist tomorrow with my stems and clamps in hand.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

My guess; That Jeff pressed the stem out the wrong direction. :shock:
Could that be even possible?

Does the stem have a groove near the bottom with a metal circlip type ring? Have you fitted it to the KX clamp? How was that fit; press tight or do you need to knurl it.

About the residue; the stock stem didn't have loctite from the factory, at least mine didn't. It was just a simple press fit at 20 tons to remove.

BTW I was watching that "American Chopper" show, (just got Dish Network and never saw it before) and noticed several of their lower clamp-stems fittings are threaded. They thread the stem and the clamp and then screw them together. What a great idea!!!!! Easy to take apart and no extra parts. Why don't other manufacturers do this? I bet you could add a huge helicoil to the clamp and thread the stem bottom portion in a pipe threading machine. Hmmmmm.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

No, he didn't press it out the wrong direction.

The stem did come with the clip. I specifically asked about that.

The stem is a loose (.002") fit to my KX clamp (in other thread).

Threading the two pieces sounds good.

I wondered about welding up the stem and then turning it down to a bit larger size. Can you even 'turn' (lathe cut) weld?

Consider the source

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Well if they can bore a welded cylinder... I don't see why not....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

You can. It's hard stuff though, yep just like roll pin material... read 'HARD'.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

What about keying the thing? You know, like how the flywheel has a drift pin? Slot the stem and the clamp and force a drift wedge into it. More lame thoughts from the peanut gallery.

I also remember reading that someone used some thin shim and pressed it all together. I couldn't find anyone willing to do that for me and I think the guy who did this had his own press.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Give the stem a knurl, add a pinch of green loctite to the mix, press in firmly, add 1 roll pin, and simmer for 50 minutes . Sounds like the recipe for me. :lol: MMMMM Roll pins yum, they taste like metal cut off wheel :shock:

Lutz
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Lutz »

For what it's worth...

When I pressed the KDX stem out of the KDX clamp it took between 15 and 20 tons in a hydraulic press before it came out, and it had a lot of aluminum residue on it, just as CC describes. The KDX clamp did seem just fine after being disassembled...the stem would definitely still be a tight press fit if I had decided to reassemble the stock setup.

When I pressed (yes pressed, and with no knurling either) the KDX stem into the KX clamp, I used a very large arbor press, so no joy in knowing exactly how tight it was. I was very tight fit though - I couldn't get it to press in by hanging on the end of the lever at 155 lbs). My slightly heavier friend was able to apply enough force at 180 lbs.

(A 1994 KX125 donated the forks, as you may recall).
Keep It Simple Stupid
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Loctite 648 (green....for bonding of cylindrical parts) gets you 3625psi of 'stick' after 24 hours. That's shear strength!

Loctite 609 (green...same application) is only 2290psi after 24 hours.

just a btw....

Consider the source

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Now that's some heavy duty 'stick'. Must be the same stuff Kawasaki put on the brake pins and swingarm bolt. :shock:

IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

CC - I really liked your idea of building it up with weld then resizing it for a press fit into the lower triple tree. Should not be a problem having it done at a performance oriented machine shop. Crank shaft throws on small block Chevs used to be built-up this way. Have no idea on the costs though.

Knurling with green loctite should work well also but it may not be as true to the triple tree as would a resized stem.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine