KX 500 Fork Conversion

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
green_passion
Supporting Member

KX 500 Fork Conversion

Post by green_passion »

Howdy,

I've read some information about the KX 500 conversion for the KDX but after several times doing a search to try and find more information, I've come-up empty handed.

There's a ton of information about the KX 125/250 forks but not a whole lot about the KX 500 conversion. I've read that the 500 conversion is much easier to "bolt on" to the KDX but I need just a bit more information. Such as:

1. What parts can be used from my KDX onto the KX 500 forks?

2. What's the difference in performance between the KX 125/250 v. KX 500 forks?

I'm hoping to make this conversion later on this year but I need some information before I take the plunge. :grin:
Thanks!
"Never discourage anyone who continually makes progress; no matter how slow." - Plato

2002 KDX 220-LONG LIVE THE KING!!! :supz:
My Gallery—Clicky!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I think the stem on the clamps is a direct fit to a KDX so there's no stem pressing in or out.

I've ridden KX500's and the forks on the 2003 were fine with only minor adjustments to shim stack and that is easy to do.

Sorry I'm not more help than that.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
dmcc

Post by dmcc »

I'm in the process of doing a KX500 fork swap, just waiting on the wheel and axle to arrive.
The stem and bearings are the same, making it very easy to swap over. Under the top clamp you will need to use the KDX nut, it is taller to allow for the plastic cap (kind of a second seal) that apparantly isn't on the KX500.
You can use either brake caliper, but I believe you have to use the brake line that came with the caliper you decide to use.
If you find a set of current (I think 94 to present) KX500 forks, then you can also use the axle and hub from 93 to 98 KX 125's and 250's.
You can use the KX500 bar clamps or put a spacer under the KDX clamps (the bolt is longer because the top triple clamp is thicker).
Remember to get a set of lower fork guards so you can mount your brake line.
I hope to have more info this weekend, that is if my wheel comes in. I can't tell you much about the internals yet, I'll have to ride it and play with it first.
Somebody help me out here if any of this isn't accurate!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Good post dmcc!! What better source than someone who's pulling it off. Let us all know how that turns out.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
dmcc

Post by dmcc »

First ride! My wheel and axle came in.........actually my wheel came WITH an axle after the auction stated it didn't have one, so now I've got a spare.

Anyway, it went together really well. I will will need to modify my steering stops slightly, everything else is a bolt on using a combination of parts from the KDX and the KX. The KDX fender worked, my acerbis headlight worked, the KDX brake caliper works great, I also used my upper brake line guide from the KDX (oops, not a bolt on, I had to elongate one bolt hole on the guide, but that's because I used it at the lower triple clamp instead of the top).

It felt good riding, probably valved a little stiff (stock I think). I'll have to take it out to some good trails or the track to really see the difference. I forgot to measure my original front ride height, so I may have to play around with the fork height.

My personal opinion (don't kill me!) is that for slow trails, and "survival" type enduro settings, the flex in the KDX forks is not a bad thing. I would NOT have attempted this swap except that I need my 1 bike to do everything, which includes higher speed trails with deep whoops, and my occasional trip to an MX track with the kids. The KDX forks did scare me in those two cases, flexing under load in fast whoops and bottoming uncontrollably in bigger (> 3' :rolleyes: ) jumping.

All forks flex somewhat, my trials bike has tiny forks compared to a KDX and they flex alot, which is great for the intended riding style.

All that to say this........ I've got a very nice set of KDX forks (with .44 springs and the shim stack mod already done!) up for sale. They'd be great for someone that wants the mods but doesn't want to attempt doing it themselves! (Great sales job, huh?)

More info later!
green_passion
Supporting Member

Post by green_passion »

I just won a set of KX 500 forks so I'll post my experience with them once I convert over.

Thanks for the write-up dmcc! :mrgreen:
"Never discourage anyone who continually makes progress; no matter how slow." - Plato

2002 KDX 220-LONG LIVE THE KING!!! :supz:
My Gallery—Clicky!
dmcc

Post by dmcc »

A correction from my earlier post:

From Kawasaki parts diagrams it looks like 1997 and up are the most current. I don't know what's different between the 96 and 97 models, but I would stick with the later version.