Wheel ?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
WOLFYMAN

Wheel ?

Post by WOLFYMAN »

Got 02 forks I know I need 02 axel and spacers but will any 96 or newer wheel work.
WOLFY
Dewey
Supporting Member

Post by Dewey »

I used an 02 wheel on 97 axle and forks, but I had to modify the spacer. The axle OD and bearing ID should be the same, but spacers are different. The 02 wheel is wider than the 97. You will probably be OK with 02 spacers.

I put my wheel and axle on the forks with no spacers and then applied the brake to locate the wheel and measured for my spacer width. :wink:
Dewey
02 -KDX220
WOLFYMAN

Post by WOLFYMAN »

Thanks alot will give that a try.
WOLFY
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Keep in mind something VERY important:

When you bolt everything together and are at the point you are tightening down the pinch bolts to the axle, you want the forks to be completely neutral in relationship to the triple clamps.

What does that mean? Measure the space between the forks at the axle holes without the wheel in place. You need to be at that same distance when everything is bolted back together. If not, if the forks end up a little closer together or spread a little further apart, you will get some stiction in their action. That means the forks will bind a little as they slide up and down. Also, keep the torque on the lower triple clamp bolts at about 10 to 13 lbs. With the wheel mounted and the bike on the ground, try bouncing the front suspension up and down WITHOUT using the front brake. If the bolts pinching the forks on the lower T clamp are too tight, you will get stiction. You can measure the amount of stiction you have by pressing down on the forks and then gently allowing them to rise. Make a reference mark on the fork guard. Then pull up on the forks and gently allow them to settle down without pushing on them. Make another reference mark on your fork guard. The difference between these two marks is the stiction in the fork legs. Keeping the T clamp pinch bolts from being over tightened and keeping the fork legs from being flexed inward or outward at the wheel axle will reduce the stiction and make your forks feel more plush.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
WOLFYMAN

Post by WOLFYMAN »

Thanks alot Skipro3 I will try that once I get the wheel.
WOLFY