Re valve

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
FRYSPEED

Re valve

Post by FRYSPEED »

Im going to revalve my 04 kxf forks on my hybrid.Im going to take off all but 4 of the big shims on the base valve and take out the bladder system which I believe they have on this year.Should I be doing anything to the mid vave if they have one?I race enduros mainly woods based so I am needing forks that work a bit easier and dont beat Me up so much. :supz:
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Read up and get opinions on replacing the midvalve with a checkvalve . . . at this site and elsewhere. Some argue against the checkvalve, but my experience thus far is that the checkvalve works out well. The opponents to the checkvalve claim excellent results by modifying, but that requires professional tuning ($$), lots of time/effort and fork assy/disassy (PITA), or specific info from others on your model forks with similar needs.

Overall, I believe the midvalve is more important in moto applications.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
FRYSPEED

Post by FRYSPEED »

Thanks Jeb I want to do the work myself and not send it to a shop,So I guess I might be steering clear of the mid valve.Ive taken out the base valve and their was 7 large shims so I have left 4.The bladder was easy to remove should now have a larger volume of oil in their with them gone.
september9

Post by september9 »

Can you take out the BV without draining the oil? I thought I saw a post about being able to tip the bike on the side and leave the forks on it and take them out from the bottom, but I can't seem to find it.
1998 KDX 200
- 2000 KX 125 front end.
- Bills Pipe
- RB Head and Carb !!!
1987 Husqvarna 430XC
- Up-Tite Pipe
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

Why the Bladder System, Mate???
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

you can take the base valve out without draining the oil by laying the bike over something sort of tall to get the fork bottoms higher than the tops. Problem is , that also relieves pressure on teh fork legs, and you may not be able to get the valves to spin out without turning the cartridge assy. Might wanna try loosening the valve first with someone compressing the forks . I never did any of this, mind you, just pulled the forks out of the clamps and turned them upside down, compressed a bit and then hit the BV with a rattle gun.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
september9

Post by september9 »

Okay, thanks. I got a rattle gun available.
1998 KDX 200
- 2000 KX 125 front end.
- Bills Pipe
- RB Head and Carb !!!
1987 Husqvarna 430XC
- Up-Tite Pipe