and the dumbass award goes to...

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

and the dumbass award goes to...

Post by scheckaet »

ME! :mad:
Check the bottom right...(this is the washer on top of the piston on the Base Valve)

Tried to drill more hole to make the fork a little plusher.
That stuff is harder than a rock! (well WAS) So I had to replace it, great.
Trip to the hardware store and try to find sumthin thin enough, with the right diameter ... Fat chance, but found a washer close enough with the right diameter but it was REALLY thick, like 5 times the thickness :cry:
Grinder and file, a few cussing and hours goes by and I came up with the Mcgyver alternative on the left.
i hope it'll hold up and work as good as it use to before I decided to screw with sumthin I shouldn't :roll:
I'll see if that's too many holes and too much oil flow on the next ride...if the weather ever clears :evil:
Sometimes I wish I lived in california (yeah I wanna ride THAT bad :busted:)

BTW, the reason of this post was: if you dunno what you're doin, be prepared to pay the price...Oh well, live and learn!
Wudscrasher
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Wudscrasher »

Dewd, every one of my repairs takes 2 or more tries. I learn that way. Good on 'ya for DIY...pay the price, let us know what went wrong, tell us...we buy you beer when you visit!

awful circle, I know, but that's how it works :partyman:

Well done.

--C.J.
2000 KDX220R

"Big air? I say keep it in the dirt - that's where the fun is. You want big air, kid? Pull my finger." -- Smooth Johnson, Master of the Berm
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I hear you on multiple attempts.

You could have it worse. I'm an Engineer;it's a miracle my bike runs at all!
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

I appreciate your willingness to show the R&D and the errors on the way. If I posted all my screw-ups here I'd be banned for taking up all the server space. I contemplated drilling but it is a stainless that is just too hard. That is why I just used the grinder. I think you are trying too hard to over engineer the oil passages. The holes will work fine if they allow oil past the spring. The slots looked good to me, they were deep enough obviously and they should work. Using the corner of the grind wheel I just have 5 deep grooves and it works. I just wonder how much is enough and how much gets into diminishing returns. I think there are those of us who are never happy if we even think there is a remote possibility that we can screw something up more better.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
Ondatrail

Post by Ondatrail »

:partyman: Cheers to the School of Hard Knocks! :partyman:
I am the Night Rider! I’m a fuel injected suicide machine! I am a rocker, I am a roller, I am the out-of-controller
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

I just wonder how much is enough and how much gets into diminishing returns
I shall know soon enough!
I think there are those of us who are never happy if we even think there is a remote possibility that we can screw something up more better.
Think I'm one of'em now :lol:
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

I saw the topic and was worried that I might be the award winner. That's a relief.