A BIG Thank you to the inmates at KDXRIDER.NET !!!!

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Wudscrasher
Gold Member
Gold Member

A BIG Thank you to the inmates at KDXRIDER.NET !!!!

Post by Wudscrasher »

Back in November, after riding the Laugh-In Trials event here in N. CO, I tore my '00 220 down for winter maintenance. As a goof, I checked that auction site and managed to get my hands on a pair of Pro-Circuit revalved KX forks, and decided to go forward with the conversion. Thanks go out to all of you, and the Forum that provides all the info needed to DIY. Indawoods, you da man. BradF, you da man, Krazyinski, you da man. :supz:

I was up 'till 2am last night (morning?) getting all the minor issues worked out/bolted up, because the forecast for Northern Colorado today was 70's, with snow forecast for tonight and tomorrow. This was my window to get it all straight. So, without further adieu, my K(X)DX took it's maiden voyage today to break in the new piston, and by the 3rd cycle, she was singin' :mrgreen:

Finished Product: (She ain't gonna win any beauty contests, but she has it where it counts!)

The PC Forks I stole on *Bay:

KX Wheel from Krazyinski, Axle from BradF. Thanks Dewds! :partyman:

Armor-All: Brake Caliper, Rotor, Skid Plate, CF Pipe Guard...Rocks & **** are unforgiving...protect what you paid for

A license plate is a great thing! I'm an OOG...fear me....

She'll never look cleaner:

Cockpit. I didn't have to get a different Scotts mount, this one worked fine:

Controls:

jc7622 is the MAN! :supz: Great post regarding the headlight mount option. It Rocked!:

My own revelation: The Devol Rad Guards disrupt airflow through the rads. Solution? Zip-Tie the stock louvres on the outside of the guards to force air through the rads. Result? No more boiling out!! :supz:

Again, a great big THANK YOU to all of you for your help, posts, trials, tribulations, PARTS, knowledge, and the inspiration to say "F-it, I'm doing it my way!"

If any of y'all are heading near northern Colorado this summer, drop me a line, I'll guide you to some sweet singletrack and sand dunes, and am more than happy to share. It's the least I can do for the help I've received here. Peace, and Summer is around the corner :partyman: :partyman: :partyman: :supz:
2000 KDX220R

"Big air? I say keep it in the dirt - that's where the fun is. You want big air, kid? Pull my finger." -- Smooth Johnson, Master of the Berm
blimpman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by blimpman »

Great Post! Beautiful bike !! ( tell me about the MEGA HORN)
Brian
The destination is just a by-product of the journey
1990 KDX 200-E1 - Donated to my riding buddy Bill!
2003 YZ125
2008 WR250R
2005 TT-R230
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Very nice conversion with all the goodies! :partyman: :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

Heallight mounting?? Explain Please.....
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
johnkdx220
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by johnkdx220 »

Great job Wuds! :supz:

Can you post a picture of your break line set-up. Looks like your break and trailtech lines are running behind the fork guard. I have the USD forks and trailtech but stuggling to find the best set-up to attach both cables.

Thanks.

... that's it! I can't hold back anymore... no more excuses: I will buy that Maier MX fender. You guys make me spend to much!!!
KDX220 (RB'd, EFM Autoclutch, FMF Rev, KX front end... Crash proofed and crash tested tOO often !)
it175
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by it175 »

Wud's, VERY NICE!! I likey the rad guard setup.

1 question though, What type of critter is that in pic #8. Looks familiar.
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

That's a dandy-lookin' 220, Mr. Wuds!!
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
Wudscrasher
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Wudscrasher »

Thanks for the compliments, gents! It makes me feel great to have put in so many hard hours and bruised and bloody fingers to get the result I'm (so far) happy with. I don't know about you guys, but there's nothing like the satisfaction of doing your own wrenching, and feel you did a good job, learning a LOT in the process. Of course, my engineer riding buddy was a big help as well (re: the brass steering stem shim post). I guess I have a few questions to answer, so here goes:

blimpman: the "Mega-Horn" is actually a bicycle horn I believe I bought from BajaDesigns. It's thumb-button 9v activated, and makes a high-pitched 'chirp/shrill', like a bird. Pretty useless, actually, as guys riding in front feel like they're being chased by a psychotic sparrow (African or European, I don't know :lol: ), but a horn is just 1 of the very few requirements to plate a bike in Colorado, the others being a tail/brake light, headlight, mirror and DOT tires.

Green Hornet: See this post for info on the headlight mounting option: http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5176

johnkdx220: The following 3 pictures show the brake/computer routing. It really was no big deal, as the bend of both was already established with the stock forks. I just used 1 zip-tie on the lower left fork (photo 1) to keep it away from the spokes. Then, put the guide on the lower triple, ran it through, and I'm good to go.

it175: That 'critter' is my lab-mix, Obsidian (or "Sid"), finally enjoying a 75° day after a long winter:

Thanks again, fellas! See ya on the trails...

--C.J.
2000 KDX220R

"Big air? I say keep it in the dirt - that's where the fun is. You want big air, kid? Pull my finger." -- Smooth Johnson, Master of the Berm
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

Great looking bike! Very clean...hopefully that will change soon!

I like that stepped seat. How did you get that? Did you shave the stock foam (looks like a stock cover on it)?
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
Wudscrasher
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Wudscrasher »

Wannaride:

Yep, it's a homemade deal. Electric knife to take out the meat of the seat, then used a rasp (woodworking tool) to get the shape right. I'm only 5'6", so I'm way more confidant with this setup, and I stand most of the time on-trail anyway. If I am on the seat, the step keeps me 'planted'. Easy to do, and the Jan. '08 issue of DirtRider magazine had an article on how to remove and even add foam for a step.

--C.J.
2000 KDX220R

MXOldtimer

Post by MXOldtimer »

Not that it's a big deal but do know the "long" seal savers were meant to protect the upper portion of the fork tubes. You only need a couple inches to slide/clean/protect the lower tube.

You did a damn fine job of cut'n that seat and stretch'n the cover. :bravo:

04 KX-250 Hey.....at least it's green and smokes.
06 KDX-200 for off road play. Gone but not forgotten
07 KX-250F SOLD! I thump no more.
Wudscrasher
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Wudscrasher »

>|<>QBB<
MXOldtimer wrote:Not that it's a big deal but do know the "long" seal savers were meant to protect the upper portion of the fork tubes. You only need a couple inches to slide/clean/protect the lower tube.

My buddy & I were wondering about that, too! It's not like they came with instructions or anything :mrgreen: I was going to pull them up, but with the way I have the brake & computer cable routed, I may just leave them as-is. It has the "dark socks with white tennis shoes" look to it :lol:

Thanks for the compliment, too, MXOT.

--C.J.
2000 KDX220R

plb

Post by plb »

@ Wudscrasher:

You don't need to put the stock plastic guard over the Devol rad guard. I think it's the reason of your boil up.

I rode with the plasctic over my MSR rad guard one year. Now, I ride without since two years without problem.
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

Nice lookin bike Wuds !

One question, are you able to use the backlight in the Vapor
without it giving false RPMS ?
I have one and as soon as I hookup to any power lead as
Trail Tech claim you can do it doubles the RPMS.
I have delt with support and they were to test on a KDX
and get back to me. 2 months and waiting.
Glad I can hold my breath for a long time.
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

Awesome job. I'm glad you like the headlight mounting solution. I think it works pretty good. :mrgreen:
Wudscrasher
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Wudscrasher »

>|<>QBB<
TWMOODY wrote:Nice lookin bike Wuds !

One question, are you able to use the backlight in the Vapor
without it giving false RPMS ?
I have one and as soon as I hookup to any power lead as
Trail Tech claim you can do it doubles the RPMS.
I have delt with support and they were to test on a KDX
and get back to me. 2 months and waiting.
Glad I can hold my breath for a long time.
I disconnected the RPM sensor, it's a piece of crap. By your explanation, that could be why I was running 19000 RPMs, as fast as an F1 car!

I hooked it up to the headlight wires, so when the engines turning, I can have the backlight on all the time w/o draining the battery, like you. Didn't know that was the reason for the false info. Let me know when you find out from TT if there's a fix. I do love the Temp sensor, tho' . When I'm running way hot, I know it and can stop to cool it down :supz:

--C.J.
2000 KDX220R

cyclenutz

Post by cyclenutz »

What rear tire is that ? D606 ?
Nice work on that KDX :supz: