2005 RMZ/KF 250 front fork conversion to KDX220

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
reymund77

2005 RMZ/KF 250 front fork conversion to KDX220

Post by reymund77 »

Hi all, someone locally is selling the above mentioned fork only.....so what else do I need to retrofit this to the KDX?

I know I will need top and bottom clamps...can I reuse the steering column, axle, brake rotor, caliper and front wheels/hub?

Also, will this 250 KXF fork be too stiff or hard for woods riding, tight single track...not doing MX here on the KDX
FRYSPEED

Post by FRYSPEED »

Got 04 kxf 250 forks on my hybrid.Found them a bit stiff so I wound off the compression adjuster to zero.That made a big difference and then I made my own sub tank set up and that transformed them.I race enduros and x country with lots of woods. :supz:
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Generaly, (for KX conversion at least) you need to press the KDX stem into the new triple clamp. You can re-use the front wheel but you have to machine a spacer, usually the front end (triple clamp, fork and wheel) are used in the conversion to avoid the fab part, you can re-use the brake, just have to re-route the line.
Dunno how hard the 05 are but most removed some of the bigger shims to make it plush. Do a search you'll find lots of info on that.
Good luck, you'll like the difference. :supz:
reymund77

Post by reymund77 »

So does that mean I jus need to source for top and bottom clamps + fab spacer?...that would be nice and lesser investment on my part to convert USD...btw, wat kinda offset on the clamps u guys having on ur USD and whats the offset for conventional fork?....the KDX turns nicely now and I presume the offset for conventional is small and hope I dun lose tat thou the rebound and dampening control is not so good now