Started Conversion Parts Don't Match

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Dewey
Supporting Member

Started Conversion Parts Don't Match

Post by Dewey »

Since Dec. I collected my Forks, Axle, and Wheel from different places. All suppose to 02 KX125 parts. I started my conversion tonight and as I was checking everything out I was checking the fit of the axle to the forks and it don't fit. So I went to Ron Ayers site to see if I was missing a bushing or something. My forks apparently are not from an 02. They have the caps that clamp the axle with 4 studs on each side. After checking back a few years it looks like they are pre 99 models. They are KYB and they measure 46mm. At the bottom of each fork is appears to have KX94 with a L on one and a R on the other. So I assume these are off of a 94. Can anyone help me identify exactly what year these forks are?
Dewey
02 -KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

If they are 94's... I would tell the person you got them from that you want a refund. They are no better internally than what you are running stock.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Dewey
Supporting Member

Post by Dewey »

After investigating some more it appears they are 96-98. Based on the size being 46mm means they are 96 or later. Based on the axle clamps they are pre 99.

This sucks! My axle will not work, I already bought 02 seals and bushings for rebuild. My wheel may not work. Pardon me while I whine a while!

OK I'm through whining now! So if they are 96 - 98 and I get a matching axle will my 02 wheel work? It looks like the bearing number is the same so the Axle diameter must be the same!
Dewey
02 -KDX220
billys04kdx200

Post by billys04kdx200 »

Dewey, I have a spare axle from a 96 kx 250. Not sure it will help ya but you are welcome to it.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I'd be on that seller like stink on ****!
He would be giving me a full refund and if he wanted his forks back, he'd be paying for shipping back as well as a "handling" fee that would plenty large enough to teach him a firm lesson to not "fork" with me!!

I hate to hear about stories like yours because it might discourage others from going for it and it really is an easy mod.

Good luck getting this straightened out.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Dewey
Supporting Member

Post by Dewey »

OK, This conversion is so simple even I couldn't screw it up to bad!

Steering stem fit fine, no knurling required. Actually the KDX stem was .001 bigger than the KX that came out, so it was a nice tight press fit.

Billy, hooked me up with a 96 axle. Thanks Billy!

After checking out the 02 wheel vs a 96-99 wheel, the bearings are the same. The difference is the brake side spacer due to the axle. So I think I could have just ordered the spacer, but I just threw it in the lathe and cut it down to the length I needed.

I just reused the KDX brake caliper.

After everything was fit up OK, I pulled the forks back off to revalve and install new seals and wipers. Someone had already revalved the forks, so I just decided to put in the new seals and wipers and give them a try. I rode about three hours yesterday and instantly liked the new feel. They feel much better in the rough stuff and allow much better overall control. Some of our trails have straight drop offs up to about 3' with a slow approach. With the KDX forks they were kinda scary, even with butt hanging over rear fender. With the KX forks is was much nicer, you actually can feel where your front tire is now.

I'm not sure what year they are or if they came of of a 125 or a 250 but they are much better. Does anyone know a sure way to determine if their 125 of 250 forks. I think the 125s had .40 springs and the 250s had .43 springs. but can you tell by looking at them. I know their 96-99 vintage.

I had .40 in my KDX forks and these feel stiffer. Since I am about 220 with gear and they feel pretty good I was thinkin they are probably 250s.

And I got a partial refund on my forks! Final cost for forks & clamps, wheel, new seals and wipers, and press work about $320.

This conversion is definitely worth the cost of doing it. Great mod, I don't know why I waited so long!

:grin:
Dewey
02 -KDX220
billys04kdx200

Post by billys04kdx200 »

Glad to hear it all worked out for ya. I have mine back together. Just trying to figure the brake line situation. I am reusing the kdx brakes as they are in better shape. Only difference is the brake line. Let me know how you ran yours.
Dewey
Supporting Member

Post by Dewey »

I haven't decided the permanent solution yet. I finished putting it together at 3:00 AM Sunday morning and was riding at 12:30 that afternoon So I drilled a couple of small holes in the top of my fork guard and zip tied it. I am thinking I will just make a small bracket to clamp it to the fork guard. Most of the newer bikes I have looked at clamp them to the fork guard.

My KDX cable guide bolt holes didn't line up with the KX bottom triple clamp, so I just took out the snips and cut the bottom out of the bottom hole in the bracket and used it. Just be sure your line is on the inside of the fork when you put your caliper on.
Dewey
02 -KDX220
billys04kdx200

Post by billys04kdx200 »

I looked for the fork gaurds today with the mount on them, but none were for the fork gaurds we have. Probably a good thing i didn't find one, the wife is a little over my spending habit. If you fab up a mount can ya fab 2 of them? :grin: