Compression assembly

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
KDXer
Supporting Member

Compression assembly

Post by KDXer »

I'm just curious as to whether the KX forks I recieved through Ski have been revalved. My question is do you think that the wear marks on my compression assembly are from;
1. Servicing wear?

OR

2. Revalve work?

It's probably a silly question and one thats hard to answer but hey I thought I'd ask anyway.

I tried to look for a company called "Suspension Works" (which is apparently who did the fork work) and found a website for a Co. located in CA. They don't have very much info there. Has anyone heard of them?

http://www.californiasuspensionworks.com/

Thanks guys... Trev

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I checked your gallery, but I didn't see any pictures. Do you have any pictures that you could share with us?

In general, if the shaft end is still peened over, then you know the base valve assembly is pure stock.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Oh no sorry what I mean is, the 14mm (I think) allen key hole is a tad "used". I'll put pics up in my gallery in 10 minutes. I gotta find the camera.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Pics uploaded. It's abit hard to see but I can feel it. My guess is it could be from either service, a revalve or both. Who knows... The suspension mob doesn't even have an email addy. Only a phone number so I can't even find out of them service history. I guess I'll find out when my suspension guy rebuilds them.

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

No problem on the confusion. Any chance you could remove the rubber plugs and then check, or are you practicing for April Fool's Day? :grin:
Last edited by Anonymous on 12:44 pm Mar 28 2005, edited 1 time in total.
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

RE: removing plugs. What am I looking for there? Thanks

April Fools ?? Whats that ??

Ha, got ya :lol:

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Ummm, did you not ever remove the rubber plugs on your KDX? The KX plugs are the same way. It's those black things in the middle. You know, to adjust the compression. Just use a small, flat head screwdriver.

I have removed base valve assemblies with hand tools, and I have used air tools before. I had one set of 1990 forks I really scratched up before throwing them away. Since they had no oil, the valves were rusted into the damper rods (keep in mind that these were damping rod forks, not cartridge forks).
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

re: 14mm allen hole 'used'.

Yeah. Mine too! Well, if that means pretty much beat to hell! Someone used a tire iron or maybe a big screwdriver to pound on it.

Any fork service worth a hoot is going to have the base valve out. Only way your going to get the forks apart enough to clean 'em any good.

BTW...for us brain dead folks...when you mention your gallery, maybe say what it is called (or change the name?)? I keep looking for 'KayDee'...and of course..that ain't it. I keep getting it mixed up with the 'Cape York' album...cuz it's all Aussie to me!

Interesting to see the 'K4' stamp. I gots one'a those. Wondered what the implication(s) was(were).

Thanks.

BTW...Ha! You think that allen socket looks like it's used? Sheesh...looks brand-spankin' new, never touched by a tool compared to mine!!

Another BTW...a light reminder...640x480 is prolly big enough pic-wise. SOMEone pays for space and bandwidth on this board. The point has been made before by some admin guy. :shock:

I have a handy resizer I got off the web if you are interested. Some photo editors will do it.

Besides, when I'm home on dial-up...large pics are a bit of a PITA.

And besides THAT...if my dune shots have to look like junk @ 640...so do yours! :wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Sorry about the pic size, I will resize them when I have time. Silly me just presumed that when it uploads them and says "resizing" and then says "no resizing nessecary" I presumed they were of suitable size. I see your point CC and will change my wicked ways. :twisted: