Ready to join the converters

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
garider

Ready to join the converters

Post by garider »

I bought a set of forks, triple and brake system over the weekend (in the for sale forum now), but I got lucky and hit the jackpot today! I picked up a complete setup from a 2001 KX125, from handlebars to wheel, all in perfect condition. Even got a new fender with it! :mrgreen:
Can't wait to get-er-done. :supz:

Question:
Do most bike shops have the equipment to press the stem out and in?

-
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

You will need to go to a Machine Shop.

Make sure YOU tell the person doing the work that the stem presses out through the bottom and is pressed in from the bottom up also.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Some do but you are more likely to find a simple machine shop can do the job and do it better. I used my local Diamond Auto Supply dealership. They are an independant auto parts store that has some equipment like 20 ton press, etc. They did it for free since I buying the steering head bearings from them. ($20) So they pressed the stems off and on with the bearings. The only thing they made me do was pack the bearing with grease. They even spotted me the grease! Ha!! Good shop.

Good luck with your project and post up a few photos while you are at it.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
garider

Post by garider »

No worries, I'll be sure to post pix. I hope to get the stem in next week. Thanks for the shop info and advise!
thirteen

Post by thirteen »

How did the modification go? Pictures, tips, or anything else that is helpful would be appreciated - about to convert my 2004 220R with 2001 KX forks...
garider

Post by garider »

I haven't had time this week. I probably won't be able to start the conversion now until next week since we've got the Atlanta SX this weekend.