HELP!!! Fitment Issues

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
rdsrf

HELP!!! Fitment Issues

Post by rdsrf »

This is driving me crazy. I bought a 2003 KX 125 (suppposedly) on ebay. I got a wheel and spacers from a 2000 KX 125 (part #'s for hub, axle, spacers and axle all the same as 2003). I then bought an axle from a 2006 RMZ/KXF 250 (part # for axle also matches 2003 KX 125) that the seller said should fit. The problem is, when I fit the axle it's about 3/4" too short! The threads don't even protrude from the left side fork tube! Something is amiss. Can these things get bent and still fit fine in the triple clamps? How can I tell for certain what front end I have? It looks exactly like the one pictured in my 2003 KX 125 repair manual. Distance from the outside of the lowest part on the fork tube is 8 7/8". Can someone with an 2003 KX 125 front measure their's and let me know what it is? Codes on the bottom of each fork tube are K312 R2 and K312 L2if that means anything. ANy help is much appreciated!! I
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I can measure my axle tomorrow after work if you can wait that long. I have 03 KX 125 forks on mine.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
rdsrf

Post by rdsrf »

Thanks, I'd very much appreciate that.
MXOldtimer

Post by MXOldtimer »

Same thing happened to me.
I bought a set of 05 forks and they turned out to be 02's.
I purchased an axle with spacers and like you they were to short. I had to buy and additional axle w/spacer for an 02.

Of course the seller played stupid, he was selling all the 02 stuff he had as 05 parts. SOB!

I just recently had to buy an other axle because I bent my last one. If you find an axle and need the spacers let me know I have extras.

04 KX-250 Hey.....at least it's green and smokes.
06 KDX-200 for off road play. Gone but not forgotten
07 KX-250F SOLD! I thump no more.
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

My '03 axle is about 9-1/4"

On the lower part of the forks where the axle goes through, from outside-to-outside mine is about 8-7/8"

The 2003 is different than the preceeding year models.
MXOldtimer

Post by MXOldtimer »

I went back and found my old post when I had my issues.

If anyone is interested,

05/04 front axles are the same that are 223mm in length with 19 & 29mm spacers.

03/02 axles are the same with approx 238mm length with 20 & 36mm spacers.

04 KX-250 Hey.....at least it's green and smokes.
06 KDX-200 for off road play. Gone but not forgotten
07 KX-250F SOLD! I thump no more.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

I have an spare 01 somewhere, don't know if it'll fit but I can take some measurement tonight if you're interested
Wilf
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

rdsrf: post up some photos of what you are seeing as well. It will help us understand just what isn't fitting or reaching.

It is important to install the front forks to the axle and clamps in a very specific order and torque to keep the forks from experiencing stiction. I'll see if I can find that thread somewhere and link it for you. In the meantime; here is a photo of my front axle on an '02. Notice that once I tighten down the axle and before I tighten the fork clamps to the axle, there is a recess to the two parts.

Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
rdsrf

Post by rdsrf »

JC7622, thanks for the measurments. Distance between the lower fork tubes is the same as mine and an axle measuring 9 1/4" would work perfectly. The one I have now is only about 8 3/4". The front end must be a 2003 and I just need the correct axle and spacers. Gotta get them from Kawasaki I guess. Anyone know the most reasonable site for factory parts? Ski, if you can find the link on the order of assembling the rear wheel that would be very helpful. Even my 2003 KX 125 manual doesn't really go into great detail. Thanks everyone!!!
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

try ebay before spending big bux on the oem parts, they show up al the time and go for cheap.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Ski, if you can find the link on the order of assembling the rear wheel that would be very helpful.

The method of assy ski is referring to is for the front end..not the rear.

ski...that pic looks suspicious to me. That's your old 250? I don't know if the timestamp is correct. You're new 250 has black Excels, right?

Does the axle on it look the same?

Re: Asembly basics:

3. Install the front tire axle bolt and torque.

4. Make sure the axle pinch bolts are loose. Take the bike off of the stand and push on the handlebars several times so the forks compress to mid-stroke. Place the bike back on stand and spin front tire and hit front brake several times.

5. Torque pinch bolts and you should be ready to go ride!

From krazyinski HERE.
Can these things get bent and still fit fine in the triple clamps?
Sure. But with everything loose, turning the top tubes in the clamps will show you pretty quick if something is tweaked. Just a bit of 'off' will have the axle end of the fork wandering around like a swizzle stick. Spinning the BOTTOM tubes shows tweaks, too...maybe of a different nature.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!