Gas Tank Interferance

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
rdsrf

Gas Tank Interferance

Post by rdsrf »

Has anyone mounted '03 KX 125 Forks on a 2000 KDX? I haven't had the chance to mock it up yet but I'm betting the tubes and/or the triple clamp will has the gas tank when the steerting is at full lock. Is this the case? If so, how can it be corrected? Building up the steering stops on the lower clamp by welding? Thanks for any help!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

You fix that issue like this if you have interference....

*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
rdsrf

Post by rdsrf »

Very good idea. Cheaper and easier than building up the steering stops on the triple clamp via wleding.
garider

Post by garider »

Thumbsup Inda. :bravo:
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

I have '03 KX125 forks on a 2005 model. When I turn full left the upper clamp just BARELY touches. I have to look real close to see if it is actually touching it. When I turn full right it touches and pushes the tank in about 1/16". It is so slight I haven't addressed it yet. My upper clamp is spaced up using the KX stem nut.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Yea, how often is it going to hit anyways? Certainly not often enough to wear through the tank I would think. I've also seen users reshape the tank with a heat gun and a chunk of pipe; Heat the tank plastic until it is soft while also warming the pipe. Apply the pipe to the tank where the forks would touch and shape it back a tad. Good to go!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!