Seal Savers / Stiction / Shim stacks / Bladders

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Seal Savers / Stiction / Shim stacks / Bladders

Post by Indawoods »

I installed a set of Seal Savers today... pretty painless.
The guard guides snugged down right on top of them so I didn't need the ty-wraps that were supplied.
I don't see how the guards would ever rub on them. They look like they were made for my bike.
I bought the short ones I believe... about 6 inchs long, and they seem plenty long to me. They cover a little less than half my lowers so if I bottom out they won't accordion on me and suck up dirt.
I will get some pics up tomorrow of the bike... she's just about completely ready and I can't wait!!!! :grin:
Last edited by Indawoods on 01:52 pm Mar 31 2005, edited 1 time in total.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Here's a pic....

*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I've a couple of "issues" with the seal savers. Maybe you or someone can clear them up for me.
1. Those are long. My dust seals leave a mark on the lower tube indicating that the seal comes down to within 1 inch of the total length of the lower tube. What happens to all that fork seal? Does it just bunch up?
2. How much stiction is introduced by those things rubbing on the inner tube?
3. Can moisture escape from underneath them or are they water tight?

Thanks for the photo!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

1. Of course, what else could they do? Could always cut 'em down I guess.
2. Don't know yet. They say none.
3. Doubt it... you'd have to peel them back , wash and let them air out or WD them.

Thought I'd give 'em a try anyway. Gotta help with rock pitting too...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I'm very interested in how they work out for you. Especially the bottoming issue. Like I said, the "high water mark" on my fork tubes shows the fork travel uses almost all of the exposed fork tube. It will be interesting to see how the seals react to that and how it is felt to the rider.
Can't wait to get a ride report from you Inda. You've got lots of new things to evaluate and provide feedback on.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yes I do...
Now if I can get my hands on some Fork Slyk! :lol: But at $40 an oz... OUCH!!!!!!!!!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I'll let you know if it is worth it. So far as I've been able to tell, no one on any of the other boards, KTMTalk, ThumperTalk, etc. have anything bad to say. My stiction problem / high spped on small obsticals, should be realize some performance gain with it. I also want to test it on my street bike too.
Jerry

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I've got a set of long booties on the way.

Inda...you have more space under your fork guard guides than I do. You say, 'right on top.' Does that mean the guides are above them...or are the seal savers underneath (between the guide and the fork)?

Fork slyk, huh?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yes... between the guides and the forks clamped down by the guides. Works real nice....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

forslyk is the proper spelling. Check some of the other forums for evals. It's on ebay too. I've been e-mailing the guy for some time now and finally ordered some. I tried to get him to send some free to Inda since that is what he was doing on the other boards. Too late though, he's getting the feedback he wanted without giving away anymore.
Jerry

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

And...the feed back is....

...don't make me go looking for it. :cry: A paraphrased Cliff's Notes version would be fine.....

Consider the source

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I'll live without it and buy something similar for $10. Just need something to break the initial stiction... these KX forks are stiff! If you want links... I can give em..
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

It's some kind of stuff that you buff in.

skipro3, you finally get a chance to get him back for his "are you banned from Google, too?" comment and you let him slide. :lol: You are too nice. :supz:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Cliff Notes version: I'm buying it, aren't I? If it's crap or not even what I deem marginal, he says he will refund my money. So, what's to loose for trying it? If I get it before Friday, I'll have a test report on it Friday evening since I'm going riding then.
Man, I LOVE the 4 - 10 work week, every friday off!
Jerry

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Note for CC. RE: My seal savers.... They are Australian made and wrap around with velcro to hold them. They are not the tube type.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Really. Buff it in!! And I assumed it was an oil additive.

Don't make me: Hey!! I'm learning from you guys! Even Ski!

KayDee. Yeah...got that. They have similar products 'up here'...call 'em ShockWears. I've got a set of those on my duner machine (Banshee).

I did consider getting a couple of those for the KYBs. May still. The SealSaver neoprene type DO look a bit stiff to me. Especially considering the seal wipe notes made by Ski.

Consider the source

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

re: forslyk

The guy starts his ad with.... "Low sales means our loss your gain." Not very confidence inspiring, he needs to work on a different angle. His profit margin must be astronomical!!!!

Even pure gasoline comes no where close to $40 an oz :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

bclapham wrote:Everyone that has come on dirtrider.net spamming up a product has gotten shut down pretty quick since Okie (the guy that owns the site) pays for its up keep- 24hr job, to earn a living, he has to charge for advertising- you have gotten plenty of good (and free) publicity here
Now THAT is funny. How many times on DRN did the folks now here get the hell bashed out of 'em for even mentioning selling something or some other transgression against the O-God...and this guy is hawking his stuff ON the site..and it appears the thread is still there. (..guess that's how I'm reading it, huh?)

My opinion of him sure dropped. And I had NO idea THAT was even POSSIBLE!! :wink:

This has kind'a been covered already...but this whole idea of 'stiction', things being stiff and KYB's suck at it..brings me back around to mid-valve tuning or removal.

I don't recall that was ever resolved. Not to my satisfaction anyway. Seems that no one here thinks they even HAVE a bladder-type KYB fork, even though the years I've seen listed that have bladders are owned by riders here.

Inda: If you wanna move this to another thread..great. But...I want to see a bladder and how it's installed in a KYB fork. ..and I want to know for sure how to disable to stupid thing.

Jason? Sounds like a job for an internet search wizard. That'd b-U!

Or...just post a copy of the page from your KYB service manual!! :roll:
Last edited by canyncarvr on 06:34 pm Mar 30 2005, edited 2 times in total.

Consider the source

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

He doesn't play in that sandpit very often.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Okie? You mean you think he didn't see it?

Jason...please check the edit in my earlier post.

Whadd'ya think?

Just got done reading through (again, I think) Wilkey's write up on rebuilding KYB bladder type forks.

No pictures. And while the word 'bladder' does appear in the write-up..there isn't any reference to much of anything about it.

Forgive me if this is plain to everyone but me....but with all the griping and moaning..and $50 Forslyk purchases (I'm not digging at anyone who purchased it)..wouldn't it be nice to just get rid of one of the known problems in the first place?

Consider the source