Conversion cash

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..

How much did the conversion cost you?

$100-200
15%
$200-300
15%
$300-400
20%
$400 +
40%
I'd rather not say. :-(
10%

Total votes: 20

garider

Conversion cash

Post by garider »

So how much would the average be for a total, turn-key, ready to ride KX fork conversion? I'm talking the initial cost of the forks & triple, any shop work, wheel/tire combo, rebuild seals, ect. (if it was neccasary), and spring set up for weight (if applicable).

What did it cost you?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Mine was a little over $300... my brothers was only $180....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

I got my 01 KX forks on a swap deal but
I revalved/resealed/respringed and new bushings
my labor and about 330.00 bucks in parts.
billys04kdx200

Post by billys04kdx200 »

So far around $350. Haven't gotten it back together yet so cost could be alittle more.
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

It's been a year since I did the conversion and I'm probably forgetting something, but here goes...
$425 for new 2004 KX125 forks, triple trees, and KX wheel.
$45 for fork guards and bolts.
$220 for fork revalve.
$110 for new Vapor computer (old KDX odometer wouldn't work).
$85 for Scotts mounting bracket (old KDX bracket wouldn't fit).

I'm in for $885 as best as I can tell. And of course, this doesn't include all of the time I spent on it.

Has the mod helped? Yes. Would I do it again? NO!!! I would use that money towards a newer bike that has better components front-to-rear, but it is too late for me.
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
garider

Post by garider »

>|<>QBB<
wanaride wrote:It's been a year since I did the conversion and I'm probably forgetting something, but here goes...
$425 for new 2004 KX125 forks, triple trees, and KX wheel.
$45 for fork guards and bolts.
$220 for fork revalve.
$110 for new Vapor computer (old KDX odometer wouldn't work).
$85 for Scotts mounting bracket (old KDX bracket wouldn't fit).

I'm in for $885 as best as I can tell. And of course, this doesn't include all of the time I spent on it.

Has the mod helped? Yes. Would I do it again? NO!!! I would use that money towards a newer bike that has better components front-to-rear, but it is too late for me.

Well that's not good.
That is close to what I had estimated following eBay auctions that have already ended and did sell (I didn't include a computer and damper mounts as they are not necassary for the fork conversion). You have to include everything in the price though, not just the forks and triples like some would assume. That's just wishful thinking. $500 or more for a COMPLETE conversion, I'll pass. I hear the stock forks work well, much better than stock, with Racetech Gold Valves, springs for your weight and general setup by a professional. All for about $350 installed including labor. I believe that would be the better route for me .
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

hear the stock forks work well, much better than stock, with Racetech Gold Valves, springs for your weight and general setup by a professional. All for about $350 installed including labor. I believe that would be the better route for me
True, the stock ones reworked works well, but for just a little more money, I'm pretty sure you could get a nice USD setup that would work better.
I know it did for me, I had the gold valve on the stock and it was ok, but after the conversion, it felt better and I felt more confident, (maybe t'was just in my head too) but in any event I am a better rider than I was. (getting rid of the underhang on the stock + the fact you can adjust rebound and compression was worth it to me anyway )

Here is what I paid for my conversion (I could have waited for a better deal but was in a rush to get it done :roll:)

forks, triple tree, wheel and spacer: $389
fork guard and seal saver (MONKEYBUTT): $30
fork rebuild kit (ROCKY MOUNTAIN): $88
stem swap: $35
oil: $15

total: $557
fun factor + beeing part of the KX front fork club: PRICELESS
garider

Post by garider »

>|<>QBB<

True, the stock ones reworked works well, but for just a little more money, I'm pretty sure you could get a nice USD setup that would work better.
I know it did for me, I had the gold valve on the stock and it was ok, but after the conversion, it felt better and I felt more confident, (maybe t'was just in my head too) but in any event I am a better rider than I was. (getting rid of the underhang on the stock + the fact you can adjust rebound and compression was worth it to me anyway )

Here is what I paid for my conversion (I could have waited for a better deal but was in a rush to get it done :roll:)

forks, triple tree, wheel and spacer: $389
fork guard and seal saver (MONKEYBUTT): $30
fork rebuild kit (ROCKY MOUNTAIN): $88
stem swap: $35
oil: $15

total: $557
fun factor + beeing part of the KX front fork club: PRICELESS
It would be a little more for me as I cannot rebuild the forks. I don't have the tools, nor the experience, and I don't have buddies that can do it. So add the labor of a professional to the total. I can and will do most anything to a bike, minus the suspension. I have never had my hand inside a USD fork. I was excited about converting until the real cost came out.

I'm thinking sell the KDX and look further. Heck, even if I get $2k (I have more than that in it now) for the KDX, then add + - $500-600 and pick up a race ready, very capable MX/harescramble bike. Doesn't that seem more sensible and cost efficient for what I need?
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

It would be a little more for me as I cannot rebuild the forks. I don't have the tools, nor the experience, and I don't have buddies that can do it
Neither did I, BUT I found 1170 people on some website somewhere to help me out and guide me through :wink:
As for the tool, wrenches, that's about it, you can make most of the other tools you need yourself for CHEAP. :wink:

Note: I am not pushing you one way or the other, cuz this is YOUR bike and YOU will be the one riding it and hopefully enjoying it :wink:
It all depends on what you're looking for in the bike, your riding style and if you can find a real "ready to race" bike for cheap then maybe you'll be happier than messing with a front end conversion.
Can you try a already converted KDX?

Good luck
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

If your worried about money and costs... your in the wrong hobby.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
garider

Post by garider »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:If your worried about money and costs... your in the wrong hobby.
Please take No offense. I may be new to THIS forum, but I am not new to other offroad forums, nor am I a newbie to riding. The quote above is one of the most sensless comments I've seen on here.

I've been riding since I was 5 yrs old, I am now 38 with a wife and two sons. We all ride and it takes a careful watch on what expendable funds we have to continue the hobby we love most. We are not racers because we cannot afford it. We are riders though. There are loads of people out there (maybe you too) that can spend money without caution, be we cannot.

Indawoods, don't take it to heart about the shortcomings of the KDX forks. Remember, I own one too. We all know and have known about the fork issues for years. It's the truth and there are few options to cure the problem that don't involve big money. I will have to choose what is right for me whether other members feel the same or not.

Peace ... :supz:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Maybe I should restate that... Bikes are a money pit!

Better?

Seriously though... if the bike needs springs for your weight to be safe.... are you going to fork out the $100 for them or try to buy some clapped out set that you find on eBay? Me... I buy the new springs because of the value the perfect springs add. Quality costs....

To me...senseless is whining about a $300 upgrade that will give you years of service and pleasure...

Go get your orange machine and see how much those cost to maintain... then you can whine about it on KTMtalk and see how much sympathy they give ya....

PEACE!

Nothing personal... just felt good! :mrgreen:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

garider

Post by garider »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote: To me...senseless is whining about a $300 upgrade that will give you years of service and pleasure...
Now you're talking. Hook me up with a COMPLETE setup, READY to bolt on and RIDE for $300. Shoot me an email with specifics asap. I'm listening ........

And by the way, I'd prefer a CRF X instead of Orange. I already give the Orange guys heck on my local forum!

-
Last edited by garider on 08:13 pm Jan 22 2008, edited 1 time in total.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

:mrgreen: Deal!

I charge $25 an hour doing the leg work though....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

garider

Post by garider »

So I get the setup for $275 + $25 leg work. Oh.. And shipped too (You gotta count it all if it comes out of my pocket). Sounds good to me. :mrgreen:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

You send me your steering stem, $300 and I will get you a setup. I will then add my time up and charge it out at $25 for a final bill.

Or......

You can do your own leg work, save the $25 an hour charge running down your parts since you are cash savy and put together your own setup for $300.

It can be done! :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

It can be done
you just have to be patient and look around ebay :wink:
garider

Post by garider »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote: It can be done! :wink:
I'm sure it could be done for parts Before labor and any parts needed such as seals, etc.

Have you looked at the percentage of the Poll? 55% has already stated that it will cost more than $300 complete and ready to ride.

I've been watching Ebay for over 3 months and could come nowhere near $300 w/shipping for every part needed. Look over the completed auctions.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Out of 9 conversions? That is hardly a good sampling.....

Parts? I didn't need parts on either of my conversions... I guess I was lucky. I simply changed the oil and rode!

Labor... that would be me minus the stem being pressed, and that was $25

It can get costly if you are not willing or able to work on the bike yourself. But that goes with any bike, not just the KDX. A KDX is the most reliable bike I have ever seen so putting a little money toward a great upgrade makes sense to me. It may not you but then that is why you are in this quandary.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

garider

Post by garider »

Out of curiosity, what do you weigh? Just wondering if you kept the stock KX springs or replaced them? I weigh in at 178 pounds. I could do the actual conversion with ease. As yourself, I couldn't press the bearing on, and if needed, I could not install new seals which costs $100-120 around here just for labor and oil. New seals and wipers are around $25 off Ebay.

So you bought a good set of forks that needed nothing but new oil, the triple tree, stem bearing pressed on, a KX wheel and axle, KX caliper and KX line (or did you use your stock?), and KX fork guards for $300?

Now you guys are revamping my interest. If I could get a complete deal, and I mean a COMPLETE deal for $300 out the door and on my bike (installed by myself), ........ then I'm in.

-