What is this!!??

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

What is this!!??

Post by canyncarvr »

Finally got my Mavica sorted out..XP hates it..W98 drivers won't load on other box..you want me to network WHAT?...

Anyway...In the gallery I have some pics of the base valve out of my '99 KX forks. I'd like to know if the piston looks at all like any'a youse guys KX fork base valve pistons.

A local shop guy thought it didn't..but he wasn't sure.

Point is...is this a ProPilot piston?

Why does that matter? 'Cuz I wanna know!!

Thanks!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Looks special to me CC... I've never seen any that look like that. I haven't personally pulled mine out yet because I have nothing to change... yet.
I gotta try em before I go yankin' em apart.

Was it clean and look like it had been serviced recently? Peened end ground off?
Sorry, I'm not much help.... :neutral:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

They don't look like my old ones out of my '96 forks. The openings look larger. But then, my gold valves have larger openings than yours show.
Any site out there for ProPilot with photos of the product?
How bout any of the other sites, like KTMTalk or ThumperTalk? Do they discuss the ProPilot?

Let me know when you have that thing ready to ride and the weather is good. I want to come up!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

ProPilot mentions their revalving service...they have a pic of some base valve or other with their stuff in it, but I can't tell from that if the piston does or does not look like the one I have.

Ski...your GV piston ports are bigger than the one I show? These are pretty big! Based on what the KDX oem valves look like for sure.

Sorry for the lack of knowledge, but that brass looking piece that sits on top is the control for compression/rebound? When the flow is against the brass piece spring(rebound), it opens up, lets oil past the piston AND past the compression stack.

...and then it goes...where?

I expected a comp/rebound shock sort of stack setup..but this brass 'check valve' doesn't fit. When it opens up, it just flows oil.

Which I'm sure isn't right.....

Thanks for looking!

Consider the source

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Gold Valves have real big ports, some say too big. I won't be tracking down any stock valves to replace mine, though. :lol:

If your setup was stock, then the end of the shaft would have been peened over. If Pro Pilot took it apart, then they ground off the peening and did whatever they did.

I would iamgine they would be glad to slap some stickers on there even if they just changed the oil.

Any chance to just call and ask them to take a look at the pictures? Any chance to ask if they had service for (whoever you bought them from)?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I have asked them about it.

There is a sticker on the forks with a name and a service number/ID tag. I'm sure they could look it up if they wanted to.

It's been a few days since I asked about it...no reply. The name on the label is 'Jordan-X'. Seeing as the stack is on the light side, I'm going to assume the -X part means it was put together for woods riding (kind'a like 'CRF250-X'?).

So...is the brass check plate part of an oem KYB setup?

Consider the source

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

You know that you are the only person on this whole board who has fooled with '99 KX forks, right? :mrgreen: Just messing with ya.

When you are searching around for info, you may want to see what other brands had KYB forks that year. I would assume Yamaha YZ's did at least. They may be somewhat similar. Maybe you can find a YZ base valve piston picture.

EDIT: If canyncarvr still has his base valve picture in the gallery when you read this, then be aware that it is not an OEM valve. I have worked on some 1999 KX forks since my original post, and the valve that was/is pictured is not OEM. Thanks.
Last edited by Anonymous on 05:42 am Oct 29 2005, edited 1 time in total.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

canyncarvr wrote:Ski...your GV piston ports are bigger than the one I show? These are pretty big! Based on what the KDX oem valves look like for sure.
My ports were oval. Look here for what I mean.
http://www.suspensionnetwork.com/shimpr ... rtion1.php

The photos show several pistons and their ports including the gold valve.

Also, you did read this link too, right?

http://www.suspensionnetwork.com/shimpr ... sics_2.php
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I had not seen those piston pics before. Don't look like anything I have...including the 46mm KYB piston shown.

Yeah. I read that.

Consider the source

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I spent hours on suspensionnetwork.com
A great resource if it is all true. Like the Bible, I'll just have to have faith that it is.
Jerry

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

You can always take it apart and see for yourself, change stuff around and see how you like it.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Ya know, I would. But my real name is Fecus. You probably know my brother, Midas. He's the guy with the golden touch. Everything he touches turns to gold. Me, well, can guess what everything turns to when I touch it by my name?
Jerry

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Well, I have seen your auto-clutch write up, so it seems like you can do as a good of a job on the forks / shock / etc.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Ha!
But do you remember I also bent 2 of the steel plates in the process? My write ups are to remind myself what I did and how I did it later on.
Jerry

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Gary must have liked it! :grin:

I didn't remember you bending two steel plates. I am guessing that you bent them back. :grin: