Which forks are easiest and least exspensive?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
garider

Which forks are easiest and least exspensive?

Post by garider »

I'm very interested in coverting the forks on my '03 KDX. I see that people have used all kinds of forks to do so, but most spared no expense. I cannot do that. I need to know which forks would be the easiest to install, as well as easiest on the pocketbook? I would prefer to use my wheel, brakes, etc. if possible. I would even consider older model forks (conventional) if they are worth the effort and give results better than the stock KDX's.
............. If what I'm looking for is not possible, just let it rip.

So tell me ....
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

96 and above KX forks are ideal. So, look for those.

You can reuse your brake caliper no problem but if you want to reuse your wheel, you will have to have a axle and spacers made for the forks. It may be more cost effective to just buy the correct year wheel along with the forks.

Good conventionals will cost you more than USD's.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
garider

Post by garider »

So, there is no way to use my KDX wheel without having an axle made?

Would either KX125 or KX250 forks work? Is so, are there any advantages/disavantages between them?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

125 and 250 forks are exactly the same other than spring rate. For me...a 125 front ends spring rate is closer to what I needed, so that's what I bought. Depends on the year for what spring rate but my 03 125 KX forks were .42's, a 250's would have been .44's

Correct on the wheel.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
garider

Post by garider »

Ok, let me pick your brain even more.....

Say I buy a set of forks & triples from a '98 KX (no wheel or axle). From which years will a wheel and axle fit with the '98 forks?

................... I'm almost beginning to think about selling the KDX and buying a fairly late model KX250, then set it up for woods & MX. Seems like I might have less $ involved than modding the KDX.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

First... it will never be as dependable as a KDX. The top end will not last as long and on and on. Some will disagree, but the choice is yours.

Usually within a year or two from the specific year will work if the mount hasn't changed. Check the Fiche to determine if an axle and wheel will work.

I have an 01 on my 03.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

garider

Post by garider »

Thanks!

One more, you mentioned '96-up forks. What steers you away from anything below '96?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

They are 43 mm forks and flex just as bad as the KDX forks.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

garider

Post by garider »

Gotcha.
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

>|<>QBB<
garider wrote:Ok, let me pick your brain even more.....

Say I buy a set of forks & triples from a '98 KX (no wheel or axle). From which years will a wheel and axle fit with the '98 forks?

................... I'm almost beginning to think about selling the KDX and buying a fairly late model KX250, then set it up for woods & MX. Seems like I might have less $ involved than modding the KDX.

I just did this I had a KDX for 2 years did all the mods you can do to a KDX. Then bought a 05 KX.

I paid 1200.00 for a basket 2000 KDX sent the motor to FRP to be rebuilt and tricked out to the way Jeff likes his.cost $1300.00 after another $1200.00 or so in suspension and other mods I had 3400 in my KDX and got good sevice out of it.

I will have the same in the KX I bought for $2000

The KX is a mean arm pulling beast in comparison to the KDX, the KDX turns better and is the master of slippery conditions, tight and technical the KDX rips and is easier to ride.

The KX runs faster smoother and tracks , is a godsend in high speed stability and cornering, in tight trials like technical stuff it requires some effort stop to stop turning is not a natural thing for this bike it starts to feel long, case to ground clearance is shorter than the KDX.

why I chose the KX is because I was in need of High speed stability that I could never get out of the KDX.

build a hybrid the perfect cross trail riding machine.

getting the front KX suspension and OEM rear shock done by Pro Action was the best thing I ever did to the KDX.

never was the KDX lacking in ability to compete with anything in it element. ( tight woods)

I believe KX 500 forks are a bolt on swap no need for steering stem swap
or shims and spacer. do a search some one on the sight did it.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
garider

Post by garider »

That is part of my problem. I've been on a MX bike for several yrs, 4-stroke at that, and you just cannot push the KDX like an MX bike. It scares the crap out of me on jumps. I ride everything from fairly tight trails to beginer/intermediate MX tracks (no SX tracks). I need something in-between. I do not ride supertight single track trails. Hate them. Open Harescramble types trails, Yea, but not the bar to bar stuff. Bikes were made with 5 or 6 gears for a reason, to use. That tight stuff is a never ending trail in 1st or 2nd gear - I can't deal with that.

Maybe (dare I say it) I need to go Orange?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

You can if you want.... My bike does it all without an issue.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

I am sure it does, my KDX did as well to a level. I can tell you this so did my 650 but then so does the KX.

The KX does it much faster maybe but feels more confident and not as sketchy.

we the group of riders I ride with rode both bikes back to back and the main difference we all had in common was at a B to A level riding was tracking and stability. other than when getting the KDX air born it did not feel as if it belonged in the air.

The KDX never put any one on the ground but at high speed hair scramble loop it feels like it could at any minute! never did it to me in 2 years (not talking about flying down some fire road or atv trail) .

Of course this is all based on my bikes.

This is why I have a rule of never riding anyones bike untill I am ready to buy a new one.

I wish I could of kept both bikes, the KDX was fun to crawl over logs and rocks like a trials bike. It had such good balance and sharp steering.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The woods I ride... I am usually in 3rd and 4th gear... and that is ripping on these trails which is also a Hare Scramble track. I do not air out that often so the KDX is my ideal bike.

Comes down to evaluating your environment and style to determine what is the ideal bike for you.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I'll throw in my .02 worth;
If you are riding woods, then I don't think it really matters whether you go with a modded KDX or a KX. And both will need mods. And you will spend about the same amount for them with either bike. What will matter is your level of riding; hard and fast, always have to be first in your group no matter what it takes to get there or relaxed and a bit more leisurely. I enjoy both kinds of riding. Some days I just like to get into a pace and rhythm of my own without regard to anyone else's style or pace. This is the most enjoyable riding. The KDX does this best. It's more about the personal experience and less about the group. Then some days I like to race everything. Even the birds flushing from the brush as I tear through the willow brush, barely touching the ground with the tires. That is what the KX does best. You can mod either bike to fit what the other does instinctively, but there will be compromise. So decide which is more your style; hard, fast, gotta GOOOOO!!!!! or paced and relaxed, gotta hit the rhythm!!
Finding KX forks for the KDX will help you if you are brushing the edge of the paced, relaxed rhythm and approaching the hard, low-flying-jet, race everything mode. It's all about fun and that is defined differently for each rider.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
garider

Post by garider »

Well said skipro3.

I've got to get the forks converted, or make a bike change. I just installed the taller Guts seat/cover, but have not had the time to ride it yet. I hope that makes a difference in the way the bike "feels". I like the "air" too much to worry about the KDX forks killing me.

I'm not cutting down the KDX, minus the forks. I believe if I could convert, then the KDX would be the perfect bike for me. BUT, I don't want to spend a ton of money on something I will never get half my $ back out of in case I decide to sell. You can buy late model, low hour, slightly modded KDX's around here for less then $2k (sometimes much less) all day long. I already have more than that in the bike.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

But one with KX forks will sell for more since you just eliminated the one major flaw. :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

If you are patient, a good deal on forks will come along. I spent about $250 on KX forks, triples and front wheel (plus some shipping). I have already sold my KDX wheel and plan to eventually sell my KDX forks. If I get half of my KX costs back I will be happy. I watched Ebay for a few months until a good deal came along that didn't get snatched up. Usually when you find one part, the seller has other parts from the same bike that will complete your wish list.
dejovi22

Post by dejovi22 »

garider,

Are your forks stock? If yes, why don't you try revalving and heavier springs? To me, that might be worth trying before getting into more complicated mods. :wink:
Dejovi22
garider

Post by garider »

They are valved stock, but I have XR400 springs installed. They work fine in the woods and on trails, but when I decide to spend a little time on an MX track or really ride hard on the trails, they scare the unnowhat out of me. Diving into corners and bottoming on jump landings (not SX style jumps either). Not forgiving at all. They are just too mushy for a mix of woods and lite MX'ing - IMO. I thought maybe the USD forks would fit the bill falling "in-between" making the KDX an all around bike.

The last bike I owned before the KDX was an '05 CRF450R. I had it ready for the woods with the largest flywheel weight you can buy for the 450 (17oz), plush suspension work by LSD, etc, etc, etc. Even with all of that work, it just had too much engine for the woods. BUT, it would just glide over and suck up dips, gouges, and deep ruts in trails. Kinda-sorta-similar to whoops on a track. My KDX will boost your A right over the bars if you treat it like that.