Shim Stock?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Wudscrasher
Gold Member
Gold Member

Shim Stock?

Post by Wudscrasher »

I don't need no stinkin' shim-stock!!!

My riding partner is a Licenced Professional Mechanical Engineer. In other words, he's anal-retentive and has to over-engineer everything. Don't take anything I repeat from him about you guys personally. He's just a perfectionist. Frankly, this is a big advantage for me. When I asked him where I could get some shim-stock for the KX conversion, he scoffed and insulted you guys for using it, calling it, "Wrapping a beer-can around a stem?!" He wouldn't let me get away with using shim-stock, so he invited me over for turkey sandwiches and beer on a 10°F night in his garage. He recently borrowed a Made In China lathe for another project, and just happened to have a hunk of solid brass laying around. Here's what he did:

The finished cut 0.001" under the ID of the KX upper triple:

Before drilling out the center of the solid piece:

Final ½" drill bit to core out the chunk:

Cutting to the OD of the KDX Stem:

The final cut for the brass shim:

End result:

On the stem, a perfect fit, w/in 0.001":

Fit and Finish? Perfect! :supz: :

It's a blessing to have a good riding friend who will spend 2 hours in a freezing garage to do this, and all you have to give him is beer. I won't get to finishing my conversion until after New Year's, but all the pieces are falling into place. Special thanks go to Krazyinski and Bradf for the wheel and axle, respectively, and to my bud Jeff, for being a combined genius and dirtrider. :partyman:

--C.J.
2000 KDX220R

"Big air? I say keep it in the dirt - that's where the fun is. You want big air, kid? Pull my finger." -- Smooth Johnson, Master of the Berm
Ondatrail

Post by Ondatrail »

Sweet :supz: that conversion will make a world of difference!
I am the Night Rider! I’m a fuel injected suicide machine! I am a rocker, I am a roller, I am the out-of-controller
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Very nice. I"ve got the shim stock and while it's adequate this is cleaner and less likely to break down or something.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
Wudscrasher
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Wudscrasher »

Ondatrail, I am SO anticipating this! Unfortunately I live in CO, so the alpha test will have to wait. Jeb, it was so cool to watch this simple shim being created. It's almost like it's a factory piece! In fact, it's better: Made in America. BY an American. Drinking American beer.

'nuff said.

--C.J.
2000 KDX220R

"Big air? I say keep it in the dirt - that's where the fun is. You want big air, kid? Pull my finger." -- Smooth Johnson, Master of the Berm
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

What a complete waste of time, electricity, material shredded by the lathe and most of all..... Your beer!!

Beer can wrapped around the stem accomplishes the exact same thing.

I STRONGLY suggest you both read a book called, "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance" Your buddy is talked about in there. More specifically, the character in the book got all anal about using beer can shim stock to allow the brake lever to be clamped tight to the bars, it's the same either way.

Any ways, I'm glad to hear you are at least working on your bike if not able to actually ride it.

BTW, your front suspension isn't going to work at all from what I can see from the photo; the shim is installed upside down!!! :lol:
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Also, why is he letting you use the KX nut as a spacer for the upper clamp?
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

>|<>QBB<
skipro3 wrote:Also, why is he letting you use the KX nut as a spacer for the upper clamp?
:lol:
Wudscrasher
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Wudscrasher »

>|<>QBB<
scheckaet wrote:>|<>QBB<
skipro3 wrote:Also, why is he letting you use the KX nut as a spacer for the upper clamp?
I don't get it :blink: In the 2nd-to-last picture, that's what was on the KDX. I also am waiting on a new bottom bearing, so I haven't been able to bolt it up yet. I need to re-read some old posts to get the spacing right. Maybe my engineer friend will decide to create something for that as well :lol:
2000 KDX220R

strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

From one mechanical engineer to another, don't show him this, he will be back out in the shop in a second:
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

>|QBB<[/url]
strider80 wrote:From one mechanical engineer to another, don't show him this, he will be back out in the shop in a second:
:lol: now that's just funny right there :lol:
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Cool idea to build the spacer in with the shim. Still doesn't accomplish any more than the KX nut as your spacer and beer can as your shim stock but if knowing that it's a machined part specifically designed to perform that task, then go for it!! Ha!!

I'm just jealous that I don't have the tools or friends to help me. Heck I don't have friends at all, let alone ones with any talent. I either do it myself or pay someone. I hope it's not anything I've said that causes people to avoid me. Perhaps it's my breath......... I'm always talking chit!!
Jerry

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

>|<>QBB<
Wudscrasher wrote:>|<>QBB<
scheckaet wrote:>|<>QBB<
I don't get it :blink: In the 2nd-to-last picture, that's what was on the KDX. I also am waiting on a new bottom bearing, so I haven't been able to bolt it up yet. I need to re-read some old posts to get the spacing right. Maybe my engineer friend will decide to create something for that as well :lol:
KX stem is too long for the KDX application and needs the shim. No, you can't just mill the stem shorter, the forks want a certain spacing between the top and bottom clamps. Well, I suppose your friend could machine a complete new stem for you. I'd like to see it if he does.
Jerry

plb

Post by plb »

@Wudscrasher

Do you have the measures of this awesome parts?

One of my friend has all the tools (and skills/experience) and if I need this kind of spacer, he can do it for me.

I have a KX125 2005 fork and a KDX220r 2001 bike... I will work on the conversion this winter/spring.

Thank you very much.
Wudscrasher
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Wudscrasher »

I'll answer your question and skipro3's, ski's first:

What you're seeing, Ski, IS the KDX stem...and the brass nutz (shim). Bolted up, there's NO NEED FOR A SPACER...and for the guys who have a Scott's Damper, YOU DO NOT NEED TO BUY THE $60 REPLACEMENT BAR CLAMP/MOUNT! maybe...Mine fit like a glove...didn't need to buy anything...hehe...

plb, I'll PM you the measurements when I get them....brass rocks...

--C.J.
2000 KDX220R

HellSickle

Post by HellSickle »

>|<>QBB<
skipro3 wrote:What a complete waste of time, electricity, material shredded by the lathe and most of all..... Your beer!!

Beer can wrapped around the stem accomplishes the exact same thing.

I STRONGLY suggest you both read a book called, "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance" Your buddy is talked about in there. More specifically, the character in the book got all anal about using beer can shim stock to allow the brake lever to be clamped tight to the bars, it's the same either way.

:
Hey, the "buddy" here.

I've read ZAMM & preach it to others. I have become one with the metal. While using beer cans may be a suitable field repair in the middle of Montana while your son is washing the krap out of his underwear in a stream, it is not a QUALITY design.

I'll resort to using beer can shims about the same time I start marking the corners of my apartment with puddles of urine.

Time for my electroshock therapy now.... :shock:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

...while your son is washing the krap out of his underwear in a stream,
..or gas outt'a his boot!!! :wink:
Bolted up, there's NO NEED FOR A SPACER..
You're missing a rather critical part of the bolt-up in that pic.

THE BIKE!!!

Putting the nuts and spanners on the stem when it's not IN the steering tube doesn't 'show' you anything.

It's not that the KX stem is too long...you don't USE the KX stem (poor 'ol ski's post obviously alcohol induced...) as you state. The KDX stem is pressed into the KX clamp.

Said KX clamps are NOT the same thickness, hence a spacer IS required.

Even if the threads DO happen to work out you want to space the top clamp up so you can place the KX forks UP in the clamps. If you don't do that, you're bike's going 'uphill' sitting in the driveway. The basic geometry of the bike is hose-'eh-vooed.

You did measure the level of your bike before you swapped the forks, right? That way, you place the KX forks UP in the clamps to reach the same relative 'level' you started with.

Re: Zen, beer cans and urinating in corners...

Ski is rarely, if EVER completely serious in his posts..and if you TAKE him that way, you're gonna get your lil feelers hurt 'afore long....... :wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I'm always serious in my posts! And I have not been drinking osifer.....
Meaning; yes, I did a boo boo typo on that; OBVIOUSLY.
A KDX stem in KX clamps bolted to a KDX frame will need a spacer in addition to the shim.

Still, when this all gets bolted up to a KDX frame and is all ready to ride, I want to see a photo. I also will be accepting apologies at that time as well, for doubting the need for the spacer.

P.S. What's a lil feeler? I seem to damage only the big ones a lot lately. Doug won't even talk to me anymore. Seems I called his engineering skills to task at work here a couple weeks ago. Some people can't seperate work from play I guess. (If the ps doesn't make sense, then ignore)
Jerry

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I'm always serious in my posts!
Sir! Yes SIR!!

Ski, you're an affront to pretty much everybody sooner or later I'm sure....

And that's why (one of whys) you are my hero!!!

I hope to learn at the feet of a master!! :grin:

Between you and Wibby, I'm SURE I'll (eventually?) learn SUMthin! It's gotta happen sooner or later, don't it?

Cheers!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
HellSickle

Post by HellSickle »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:
...while your son is washing the krap out of his underwear in a stream,
..or gas outt'a his boot!!! :wink:

Ski is rarely, if EVER completely serious in his posts..and if you TAKE him that way, you're gonna get your lil feelers hurt 'afore long....... :wink:
No offense taken. I was only recalling the best parts of ZAMM.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

There is another way of doing this that avoids the whole beer can/engineering/brass problem.
See:
http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... highlight=
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy