ROLL PIN ARRRRRGH

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
KDXer
Supporting Member

ROLL PIN ARRRRRGH

Post by KDXer »

Who's great idea was a roll pin ???? HMMMM Ski ???? :rolleyes: :evil:

Just kiddin..

No but really what an absolute PITA to remove it. I went out and bought a slide hammer (5lb), screw extractor set, a tap ($35), 5 drill bits ($25) and I still couldn't get the stupid roll pin out. All up over $100. :shock:

Bottom line is the pin is finally out. Look in my gallery for the revenge I got. I ended up with some bad cuts from a 9 inch grinder cutting wheel exploding.
I was gonna post pics but they are all over my chest, neck and arm and I thought the influx of female admirers could overload the server. :cool: :prayer: I was only thinking of you guys, I'm sure you's understand. :lol:

OK all jokes aside it was the biggest headache I've ever had trying to remove anything. The roll pin must have been made out of some hard a$$ stuff. The drill bits went blunt, the tap wouldn't bite nor the screw extractors and the slide hammer couldn't get a decent bite either. So if you install one like mine was installed DON'T expect to get it out again in a hurry.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That's PURDY!!! :lol: I woulda let the machinist do it.....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

When I realised it wasn't coming out I thought, "I don't want the machinist screwing up the stem trying to get it out". If only I knew the pain it was to cause I would have left it for the machinist. Hindsight.........

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Sounds like the roll pin did it's job quite well. Which is the point. The other point is that dirtbikes keep us all from spending money on bad habits like wimmen, drink, and drugs. Who could afford a dirtbike and any one of those other vices?

Sorry to hear your not handy with tools. Remember the saying, "If the wiwwem don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Let's hope, for your sake, you are handsome!!!

Ya know, yours was the first KDX I ever saw with a roll pin holding the stem to the clamp. How deep did the pin go into the stem? What year is your KDX? Anyone else out there have a pin holding theirs together? Maybe this is an export to Aussie thing and not in the U.S. of A.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Also Trev;
Was there a clip in a groove on the stem to keep it from seating too deep into the lower tree? I don't see one in your photo.
I'm beginning to worry that the Aussie version of the KDX stem/clamp might not work with the American version of the KX clamp.

Yours is not like mine was or any other I've seen, and now that you have destroyed your clamp, it could be you will need a U.S. version KDX stem to fit your KX clamp.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I wonder at this point if it would have made any difference had I not deleted the post I started last week...namely saying, 'Roll pins are harda$$ stuff. You're not going to be working with it (drilling it for example) much.' Oh well.

Why could it not have been pressed out? It was pressed in.

How are you going to get the KDX bottom clamp back together? A few more roll pins perhaps?

Good that you got it out. Good also that you didn't kill yourself trying!

Hey! And Ski is asking questions I wondered about from the gitgo.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That's alright... I'm sure we can find him a stem that's made right... :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I think that was a blind press. The hole doesn't go all the way through the clamp-stem-and back out the clamp, but stops just a ways inside the stem. I wonder if it could have been sheered when put in a press to remove the stem. Also, since it was pinned, maybe the stem is of different diameter than a U.S. stem and it wasn't a pressed fit to the KDX clamp?
Only way to know is when the KX stem is pressed out of it's clamp and the KDX stem is fitted up to it. In any case, I'm sure a good machinist will get the stem and the clamp together in a reasonably safe fashion.
Jerry

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I'm a welder / boilermaker by trade but have been doing IT for 9yrs or so. Tools and I usually get along just fine. I have had my fair share of removing snapped screws, broken bolts and stripped nuts. NONE have ever been this hard to remove, period.

OK I cracked out the digital calipers for some measuring.

Base of stem = 1.190 inches or 30.25mm
Depth of blind hole = 0.120 inches or 3.00mm
I/D of the stem hole on KX clamp = 1.245 inches or 31.60mm
There was indeed a c/clip but I damaged it upon removal of the stem.

My bike is a 98 200.
canyncarvr wrote:I wonder at this point if it would have made any difference had I not deleted the post I started last week...namely saying, 'Roll pins are harda$$ stuff. You're not going to be working with it (drilling it for example) much.' Oh well.
Probably not coz I still woulda tried anyway, I'm a sucker for punishment.
canyncarvr wrote:Why could it not have been pressed out? It was pressed in.
It is blind like me. :lol:
canyncarvr wrote:How are you going to get the KDX bottom clamp back together?
What on earth for ??

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I don't think I will even think about putting a roll pin my lowers.... :shock:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Just for the record.... Just how are you supposed to get one out... you know, the right way?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

A puller of course.:lol:

It's probably a good idea if you never plan on removing the stem.

Seriously though I wish I knew. The material the roll pins made from is so slippery. I bought 3 different taps (cheap one and two good ones) and they all just slipped on the pin and just wouldn't grap or bite in. I tried with titanium drill bits cheaps ones and good ones and it would either dull them within the first 10 seconds or peel the titanium coating off like swarf. I even tried a cutting compound for drilling stainless steel, again no go they still fried the tips. I've done most of my work with stainless steel which is known for its 'hardness' and never have I had so much trouble drilling or tapping such a small piece of $hit, oops I mean steel.

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

UH OH !!! buykawasaki doesn't show the c/clip I damaged and the KX one will probably be to big. What to do ?? What about the bearings they don't show them either ?? Will a bearing shop or similar have the circlip do you guys think?

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

You should be able to fit that c-clip at the hardware store. It's only there to make sure it isn't pressed in too far. I believe the KX bottom bearing is the very same bearing as the KDX's.Same exterior size anyway. If the ID is the same then your in business. And you use the KDX's top bearing. No problem!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Bearings are standard faire and can be bought anywhere that sells quality bearings. The clip on mine was not flat but round like a piece of wire formed and springy like.

You are correct: The triple clamp on the KDX is a single unit as far as Ma Kaw is concerned and they will not sell you the clip. I do believe the KX clip was the same. It should be since the parts at that end of things are the same size, just different material. (Aluminum vs. Steel)
Jerry

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

re: KDX bottom clamp back together

..That was a joke.

Blind press? That answers that. Brings up this being a wholly different setup than US. If someone did this as a security measure they would have been completely stoopid to make it a blind hole!

Have you done any preliminary checking to know if this is even in the ball park? I've wondered about the US/overseas differences from the gitgo on this deal. The roll pin (as ski says) is a huge question mark to me.

Not trying to be the naysayer here...but everytime I 'assume' things...I'm always surprised to find out how many ways I can be wrong.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

canyncarvr wrote:That was a joke..
Jus checkin...
canyncarvr wrote:Have you done any preliminary checking to know if this is even in the ball park?
I'm not sure what you mean.

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Just a quickie...

Do you guys have a steering lock on the steering head as standard ???

Do you guys have a notch cut out of your KDX stem for the steering lock ???

I'm just thinking the roll pin may have something to do with the steering lock, maybe..... I'm probably WAAAAAAY off here but it was just a thought.

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

No steering lock on any U.S. KDX. What's it look like? Post a photo. Also, look at photos of the KDX stems folks have put up and see if any show that part of the stem you are talking about.
Also, no notch cut out of the KDX stem.
Jerry

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

You mean a lock with a key, so it won't get stolen?? ...similar to a street bike??
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128