KX STEM. Just a thought...

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
KDXer
Supporting Member

KX STEM. Just a thought...

Post by KDXer »

Has anyone looked into (or thought about) getting the KX stem machined down to suit the KDX top bearing?

Looking at it, it doesn't look like much would have to be shaved off for the KDX bearing to fit. I'll buy some digital calipers tomorrow and measure everything before I dribble on anymore. :partyman:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yes we have.. The KX stem is aluminum... can't machine it down and have any stength.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Does it really have to be machined THAT much that it will deminish the strenth ??

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Did you see how thin it is to begin with? The KDX's is steel and it is thicker than the KX's.... Would you want to put your life on the line? I wouldn't ... :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That top bearing is much smaller than the bottom... look at em.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Also, the KX aluminum stem is anodized. If you machine it, you will be removing the anodized finish and that finish provides quite a bit of strength to the part. Better would be to have someone build an aluminum stem from billet stock to the specs you need. I checked it out and it would cost me about $50.

The reason the KX stem is aluminum in the first place is for weight savings. The KDX stem is bullet proof. No way you can harm it.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Thanks for the question! I didn't get a KX stem with my clamps..I had no idea it was aluminum.

Had no idea anyone would consider making such a hi-stress piece out of aluminum!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

It's hollow aluminum too! Machine the anodize off that and you will have trouble. It'll fold like a soda straw.

****EDIT****

Oh, and don't bother looking for a bearing that will fit the KX stem AND the stock KDX race (Inside / outside diameters) After an exhaustive search I have discovered such a bearing doesn't exist.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Thanks Ski thats saved me alot of phone calls. :prayer: