contemplating a swap (cr 125 250 front end)

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
danbra

contemplating a swap (cr 125 250 front end)

Post by danbra »

hey guys, I need all of you expert advice.. I have two cr s at my disposal for praticaly free,( two good friend of mine who has a 125 and a 250 with blown engines) after spending some good 3 or 4 days searching this web site, I think I might go ahead and try to do this thing, I'm handy with tools, however I get scared of thinking about doing this. if I have everything in hand how long should I expect to finish this project? are machine shop easy to find? besides having to press the stem out and in and having to make it fit in the cr lower tt? what else will I need to fabricate? I don't want to get to a machine shop and sound like a total idiot!!!!! :rolleyes: so do you all think I should do this or just settle for a stiffer srings gold valves and call it a day???? any input, suggestion, opnion help would be greatly apreciated......or if someone live in the merrimack area in mass, and want to give me a hands on advice(help) would certainly be welcomed thanks in advance!!!!
2005 kdx 220r
bone stock...
...until I found this forum!!!!!
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

I'd look at swapping the engine into the CR125 frame if the whole bike is available...
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

I think a KDX220AF would be really cool... What year is the 250? I think it would be easier (and in the end better) to just swap engines and keep the CR frame and suspension as is.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

do the engine swap! :supz:
danbra

Post by danbra »

hey guys I got the 125 however I think its a 1991, I took the front end apart the fork tubes are from fmf suspensions, the tt are in very good shape, this is the measurement I took from the tubes, they are 39 in. long, the tt are 10in. width, the tubes have two adusters on top and one on the bottom, do you think I could use this at all?...... thanks in advnce!!!
2005 kdx 220r
bone stock...
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

They are a little old even though they are more advanced than your stockers. Think about it - the stock KDX forks are identical to those of an '87 KX125/250, so you get only 4 years difference in technology... your choice.
danbra

Post by danbra »

I gave up on this!!!!! moving on to a better fit newer model kx, it was free for a reason!!! :mrgreen: hopefully I'm not fighting anybody on e-bay, I am bidding on a few things there, thanks guys
2005 kdx 220r
bone stock...