KX forks - 2003

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
SteveWR450f

KX forks - 2003

Post by SteveWR450f »

Got some 2003 KX 125 forks recently off ebay. KDX stem already pressed in with shim spacer already made. Have not got the forks yet delivered to me.

But I proably should have asked this before I purchased them but . . . I read somewhere that the 03 forks where large and they dont clear the gas tank because of there large diameter. Any truth to that statement. Is so, how do I modify the tank?

I have got an extra Scotts stabilizer. Wanted to get the Scott/BRP triple clamp and mount the stabilizer. Anybody do this? Any pictures?

Thanks for your time, Steve
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

how do I modify the tank
No, you modify the stopper.
here is a pic of what I did, don't look great but does the job :wink:

drilled the stop tab, added some metal, secured it with a screw, et voila!
Of course if I could weld, (or had a welder for that matter), you can weld sumthin that would look better, just don't forget to remove the tank if you weld...
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Mine are the same forks, and yeah, they interfere with the tank. I didn't do the heat gun treatment to bend the tank in, I built up the steering stops intead.

I have a Scotts damper, and I ended up buying the Scotts T/C because I wanted to go to Pro Taper bars and Cycra bar guards, and by the time I bought all the adapters and stuff, the other clamps made a lot of sense.

this pic just shows the forks, not the part you want to see:

http://kdxrider.net/forums/modules.php? ... _photo.php

I'll try to get a better pic up when I can.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

If you weld it, take off all the electronical stuff first. I've heard of a few KDX owners that welded their frame, and then the bike wouldn't start. seems like the magneto, coil, CDI, and regulator all can get fried. :blink:
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
SteveWR450f

Post by SteveWR450f »

Thanks. That makes sense. A picture really helps me - less mechanical - figure this out. Awesome. Steve
WR sold. Now have 03 and 04 KDX 220s.
KXF 250 forks. RB Carb and Head. FMF rev pipe. Long live the KDX !!!
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Regarding welding on the frame and frying the electronics - just unplug the CDI and locate the weld ground lead close to where you are welding to a clean ground. Coils and stator should be safe it would be the regulator and CDI that would fry. IMO - Charley
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
Sport
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

03 125 Forks

Post by Sport »

I Quess posting a claim on ebay HANDS OFF doesn't earn a guy any respect. These 03 125 Forks I had made mentioned of on the ebay HANDS OFF form. O WELL LIFE GOES ON! Hope they work out for you.
Bad Boyz Toy Box
05 KDX 220R Dad'
05 PW 50 Son's
07 KX 85 Son's
02 Polaris 700 4-wheeeler Whom ever

See Ya on the next one.
Sport
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: 03 125 Forks

Post by IdahoCharley »

>|<>QBB<
Sport wrote:I Quess posting a claim on ebay HANDS OFF doesn't earn a guy any respect. These 03 125 Forks I had made mentioned of on the ebay HANDS OFF form. O WELL LIFE GOES ON! Hope they work out for you.
Sport - One time I out-bid someone on this forum on an item that was posted in that section. Typically I do not visit the HANDS OFF section and did not have a clue that someone had dibbs on the item. I believe that most forum members 'honor' the postings provided they are aware of them.

P.S. Thinking about it, I don't think I outbid them I just drove the price up ~$20 higher that it would have been. Charley
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

If you are going to weld, why not use a gas torch? That's what I did anyway. Since more local heat is generated, remove the bearings first.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

>|<>QBB<
IdahoCharley wrote:>|<>QBB<
Sport wrote:I Quess posting a claim on ebay HANDS OFF doesn't earn a guy any respect. These 03 125 Forks I had made mentioned of on the ebay HANDS OFF form. O WELL LIFE GOES ON! Hope they work out for you.
Sport - One time I out-bid someone on this forum on an item that was posted in that section. Typically I do not visit the HANDS OFF section and did not have a clue that someone had dibbs on the item. I believe that most forum members 'honor' the postings provided they are aware of them.

P.S. Thinking about it, I don't think I outbid them I just drove the price up ~$20 higher that it would have been. Charley
Indeed you did IC...triple clamps as it was. But it was no big deal then and it sure isn't one now. I figured i'd get at least $20 in beer out of you when I show up to ride that way some day...
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
BlackStormy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by BlackStormy »

Maybe there is something goofy with my bike, but I put 03 KX250 forks on my 95 and there was no interference with the tank at all.
MXOldtimer

Post by MXOldtimer »

I just put 02/03 KX-125 forks on mine and I had to add a longer stop to keep the forks from hit'n anything.

04 KX-250 Hey.....at least it's green and smokes.
06 KDX-200 for off road play. Gone but not forgotten
07 KX-250F SOLD! I thump no more.
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

>|<>QBB<
m0rie wrote:>|<>QBB<
IdahoCharley wrote:>|<>QBB<

Indeed you did IC...triple clamps as it was. But it was no big deal then and it sure isn't one now. I figured i'd get at least $20 in beer out of you when I show up to ride that way some day...
See - the affected forum member(s) will always set you straight. Yep I owe Morie a beer or two!! :partyman:
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
SteveWR450f

Post by SteveWR450f »

Opps. Looks like I owe Sport a beer. I did not go the ebay hands off section. I will in the future. If it makes it any easier - I paid probably too much for everything. Got the forks, clamps, stem, front wheel assembly for $600 (ouch).

A few months ago when I did my other kdx conversion - I got 05 KXF forks with triple clamp for $350.

But I definately will check that section in the future before any more ebaying . . but at this point does not look I will be doing anything soon. My girlfriend has got me on a short lesh for blowing too much on the "dirt bikes." This damn site - keeps on giving me more ideas of things to do . .

Sorry.
MXOldtimer

Post by MXOldtimer »

>|<>QBB<
SteveWR450f wrote:Opps. Looks like I owe Sport a beer. I did not go the ebay hands off section. I will in the future.
Hell, I didn't even know the "hands off" section existed until this post.
But, in the heat of bidding I don't think I'd stop to check anyway.

Sport
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Sport »

NO big deal here, was a little bummed when i lost the bid at $450 and that was the high bid just didn't get my bid in soon enough, as i had esniped with 10 second buffer. I just figured it was worth mentioning as noted in reply above some members may not know the ebay HANDS OFF site exist. :wink: Anyway you fellas make it to Michigan to ride I'll take ya up on the beer offer. :supz:

CHEERS
Bad Boyz Toy Box
05 KDX 220R Dad'
05 PW 50 Son's
07 KX 85 Son's
02 Polaris 700 4-wheeeler Whom ever

See Ya on the next one.
Sport
SteveWR450f

Post by SteveWR450f »

Thanks Sport. I hear they make pretty good beer in your neck of the woods. Come out to the NW - we make rain and beer pretty good here. But . . . I will check next time. Steve
bhorocks

Post by bhorocks »

yeah 450 was alot. i bought the set underneath that for 220! i am picking them up this evening wil ltake a pic and post em up.. now i just need a front tire found one for 150 but that sounds kind of expensive... onna hold up. will a 01 kx rim fit on a 03 kx fork?
i out like a fat kid in dodgeball
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yes...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
bhorocks

Post by bhorocks »

my bad too.. i didn't even know about that part of the forum till after i had bid... I hadn't even got past my first post then.

indawoods,
thanks for the approval
i out like a fat kid in dodgeball