KIDS & the Things they DO!!!$(*&(*^#*&^*&$

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

KIDS & the Things they DO!!!$(*&(*^#*&^*&$

Post by Green Hornet »

I have felt that the Front End of the Bike has been, well, a, Little Weird in the handling department lately.
I checked the Rebound & found 1 Fork was 17 Clicks out from Full & the other 18 Clicks Out from Full. I re-adjusted to 15 Clicks Re-Bound & 13 Clicks Compression. Which is ruffly what I have had it set at in the past.

Now the Question: Would those previous settings (17 Clicks out from Full & the other 18 Clicks Out from Full) really cause that big a problem in handling?????

P.S. My 6yr. old was monkeying with the Clickers a while ago, but he told me I DID NOTHING!!!!NOTHING!!!!! :roll:
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I doubt it would be the root cause of the weird handling you mention. More likely something else is wrong. It's amazing what you get used to as it deteriorates.

I was following my kid on an MX track and was thinking how bad the KDX was on that. I rode his bike and it was great. Turned out my shock was totally blown out, and who knows how long it's been that way. :roll:
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

It felt as if 1 shock setting was different than the other, but I may have them serviced anyway
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Well, I took a look at your bike profile and saw that it says you still have the stock forks on a recent bike. It shows you changed the springs and and measured the oil level. But it's unclear if you've done an oil change yet. Or, more correctly if an '05 was made like my '04, put oil in it. I say this because what was in my forks from the factory couldn't be called fork oil. One leg was filled with something like cooking oil, and the other leg contained a mixture of pond scum and gorilla snot. Very nasty, and that was discovered after just a few rides when I changed the springs.

The junk that was in there would make it impossible to set the clickers the same side to side, since the juice was of inconsistent viscosity in the same leg, let alone between the two.

If you have indeed changed the oil already, I'm pretty amazed you can tell the difference of one click between the two legs. But that's based on my own primitive nervous system.

Let us now what you find accounts for the weirdness.
Mike

'04 KDX220
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

The KX Forks were valved last year, NO OIL CHANGE YET... Probably Should.....
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

John W Read Jr
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Ah, so much for reading the profile. You would think I would have picked up on the rebound clue... Since they were revalved, I would wonder if the nut came off one of the base valves allowing the stack to come apart. That, I would think even I could feel. You supposedly can check this without disassembling the forks, by plugging the tank vent tube, and laying the bike down over something that gets the fork legs pointing up (like a dead pig or something) so you can unscrew the base valves without dumping oil all over the place. I haven't tried this yet, but it sounds entertaining. I might vent the fork air before doing this, just to seem stylish.
Mike

'04 KDX220