Swapping an old set for cheap

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Swapping an old set for cheap

Post by 2001kdx »

i've been pondering this idea where i take my buddies forks, off of a '90-'93 KX250, for about 20 bucks, and getting them to fit. I can take all measurements before I buy, hell I probably don't have to buy a thing, just bring 'em home and take a look. Do you think it's worth a go? I would have everything in this picture, but his rotor is rusted, I'm guessing I try to use my caliper & rotor or buy another kx rotor, most years fit. Could someone help me figure out what ecactly needs to be machined?

Pic: http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/modules. ... _photo.php
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I don't think you will be gaining a thing going with those.... look at that underhang.... and very old technology.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Inda's right, dude. Nothing wrong with trying to be frugal, but your stock forks are probably that good.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Yeah,

RE: Underhang - This is a picture of a '98 KX125, how exactly is this better? http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/857975/

I just don't see the old fork's underhang, or even the stock kdx forks to be a problem. i have gotten stuck in a 12" - 18" rut before, but I thought any bike would really give ya that problem.

So I guess I will be hunting Ebay for 1996 + KX sets, 125, 250 and 500, and maybe YZ (like jeb's) and CR forks, like ufs207's swap)

I'll just have to have patience!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Well... first hand experience... came up on a hill sideways and forks hung... slid out making me go splat! an inch difference would have avoided that.... So....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

The underhang is a very nice thing to loose. I did a stoppie with my old ones going down a very nasty rocky hill. Luckily I got it under control, If I had gone over the bars in that spot it would have been ugly.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

That underhang scares me. I've hit it on many occasions and they are starting to wear down because of all the scratches and gouges on them. I remember a time when I was going down a hill and had to fit through a rock gap...a gap just slightly smaller than the forks. It stopped me dead in my tracks and I had to get help to lift the bike over the gap, had that underhang not been there I would have had no problem.