My Conversion...and caliper question

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
motorhed220

My Conversion...and caliper question

Post by motorhed220 »

alrite, so i got a set of 95 KX forks. Punched the stems and switched em no problem, the KDX bearings and stem all went in with a wee bit o heat and everything was Right as rain. :supz:

But once i put the new "KDX/X" forks on the frame, the stem was a BIT to long AND the KX top triple clam was to damn big for the stem. Not by much, and a 2nd bolt and washer underneath the 1st one for the top of the triple clamp solved this problem. At this point i was very excited... i though this would be easy... :wink:

Next came the wheel, i found a way to use the stock wheel, and i found a diferent axel, from some old 1970's dirtbike that will work fine. Just a few bushings and everything will be fine.

By the way, if you want to use the stock wheel on the KX forks, you need bearing with a larger INNER cone...and just a longer axel, and once you figure out the proper spacing using some good bushinsg you will be Good to go...

So now i thought everything was done, just mount the brake Caliper. Well thats where everything hit a HUGE snag....The brake caliper mount does not even line up to the KX mounts...Wish someone told me bout that... :neutral:

So now i figure i can drill and thread the ONE needed hole into the mout to make it work, but that might compromise the strength of the metal and the mount...That or i buy a 1995 KX Brake Caliper and set up on ebay...(which i might do) Do ya'll think a 95 Caliper will work on 96 forks??? I think it will... Or can i get away with drilling inot the mount???

Thats my adventure so far what do ya'll think!?
Live to Ride, Ride to live!!!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Hmmmmm...... that's odd.

I put 95 KXr's on my brothers 95 and KDX bolted right up! :?

AAaaaand I put the stock KDX caliper on my 03's. Something ain't quite right there....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

"So now i thought everything was done, just mount the brake Caliper. Well thats where everything hit a HUGE snag....The brake caliper mount does not even line up to the KX mounts...Wish someone told me bout that... Neutral "

look again at somthing cause that not the norm.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

I'll second this. With a H series KDX caliper I was good to go with both the 94 and 96 KX forks that i've got.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: '...the stem was a BIT to long AND the KX top triple clam was to damn big for the stem. '

So...yours are like everyone elses? :hmm: That's odd... :wink:

I wouldn't want to be drilling on my forks....

Your situation being different from all the others, something is...well...different.

Good luck!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
motorhed220

Post by motorhed220 »

well i figure i can drill INTO the actual MOUNT, of the caliper, but would this be detrimental to the overall strength? I think im gonna buy a 95 Caliper on Ebay, then use it on my 96 forks! that should work, but ya ill let ya'll kno...

And as always it has to be MY situation that is thw MOST bizare of them all...Would my bike being a 220 have anything to do with the Caliper mouting?
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

no, My 220 was fine with my KX forks. something about yours smells pretty fishy. DO NOT drill anything.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
motorhed220

Post by motorhed220 »

PICS ARE TO DAMN HARD TO BLODDY WELL PUT ON THE SITE!!!!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Ain't no hill for a climber! :roll:

Got a problem with the [img] tags? Or can't upload to the gallery?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Uh....if I can do it...anyone can.

Heck...even my mommie could do it. Well...that's is stretched just a tad, but not by a lot of tad.

Ask your 'how to', Inda or someone will help get it sorted out.

I'd like to see a pic of what you're talking 'bout myself.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
motorhed220

Post by motorhed220 »

well, tall werked out just fine, i machined custom spacers, and custom axel, got the stock bearings with a larger cone, and rethreaded the axel so everyting is fine and dandy...NO ISSUES and the forkes work GREAT!!! WOOOOOO! BUT hers the brake issue:

I got the 95 Caliper for 20 bucks (EABAY) and i connected the line and everything, BUT now i cant bleed the lines...UI tried doing it like a normal car, but the ressure would just not Build up, fluid was shooting out the bleed screw, and a BIT of air, but no pressue on the lever at al, i have NO front brake, pads are fine everything is fine, just no pressure!

Help, how do you bleed the lines on a bike? is there a tool or something im missing?