Just won my USD kit on eBay!!!

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
951TwinXP

Just won my USD kit on eBay!!!

Post by 951TwinXP »

So I guess this will also serve as my first post. I used to hang around on "Just KDX" as well a few years ago.

I just scored a complete 2003 KX front end to put on my 2000 220

I will have to dig deeper into the forum here to find out what you guys have done.
There are quite a few good looking rides up here.

On another note you hear all the time how the KX chassis is better...
It seems funny that the KDX has such a strong following for such an old design.
Speaking from my experience I have a KTM300EXC (2001) and I actually prefer to ride my KDX most of the time.
I keep the KTM around for the sheer pucker factor alone. THat bad boy puts out nearly 50rwhp...

Well if anyone has any special instructions regarding the 2003 KX front end please hit me with them...

Dennis
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

mod the kdx and dump the KTM I just Dumped my 02 300 MXC two club with the Kick To Much. yes I know the KTM was box fast the KDX is BOX slow.

MY KDX has the following Porting, head and carb work by FRP, 10oz fly wheel weight,Vforce 3 reeds
FMF desert pipe turbine core two silencer, 98 KX front and KDX rear suspenders re valved by local Pro Action suspension GURU. stainless braided brake lines for enhanced stopping power. CR HIGH MINI bars, guts racing tall seat foam with gripper cover and fast way pegs for cockpit comfort and improved ERGOS. (I am 5'5" the bike is not to tall)240lbs on the local scale with 3/4 tank of gas and all oils.

The KDX is MY KDX is may be a bit slower on a drag strip but I RIDE THE WOODS. over all I found the KDX more forgiving and easyer to manage the power in the tight the only thing the KTM did better was the straights, I said did because after the suspension was done I can easy do 89-90 plus on some straights, or at least thats what the trail tech reads.

so I sold the KTM, granted I have about 3 grand in the KDX now.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I used to lust after a KTM 300, and in fact almost bought one instead of my 220. I've ridden one and really liked the motor. It makes good power everywhere. I was happy to get back on my bike though. For my riding style the KDX works a lot better.

I have the '03 KX forks on mine as well. You'll like the difference.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'Well if anyone has any special instructions..'

Not special..most everything is documented fairly well.

A favorite harp of mine: DO check the 'level' of our bike before you start. I mean sit the bike somewhere...don't matter where but level would be fine. PUT a level (24"..not a torpedo or line level..too short) on the seat/tank and mark where the level spot is.

Then, when you get your forks in, you KNOW where to put the tubes to make the bike level. You don't have a bike that looks to be going uphill all the time.

Well...assuming you WANT it to have the same geometry it had.

A fork oil change would likely be good to do. A 115mm oil level is good imo.

Use SealSavers..or a like product. Moose has some.

Only 10ft/lbs on the lower clamp.

If you don't have some of that 'speshul' fork treatment stuff, at least rub some Triflow on the inner tube before you put the spring back in. Lessens stiction. Inda has some hot-rod stuff to use in that applicaton.

Ooops..one thing kind'a led to another. Didn't mean to start a list.

You'll love 'em!!!

Oh..modify your fork stops if the big '03s bang the tank!

Good luck!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
951TwinXP

Post by 951TwinXP »

Thanks guys...
I have had three KDX's and this is my First KTM.
I like the bike, but I am not in love with it like the KDX.
I got all my stuff in today. A complete '03 KX front end.
The only thing missing was the front axle for the wheel. I guess I will order one from the dealer. The forks were just rebuilt so I am not going inside of them yet.
I appreciate all the info., and I will post pics as the process gets going.

Dennis
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Dennis,

As CC says, the '03's will most certainly bang the tank. Big tubes. Even more important, if you have a high dollar Scotts stabilizer, the $400 part becomes your steering stop which is a very bad thing. I was in that situation with my '04 220 and '03 forks. I pop riveted a piece of 1/8" aluminum bar stock to my steeering stop , and filed it to size. if you're a welder, you'll do better than me.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
951TwinXP

Post by 951TwinXP »

I am lucky enough to have a next door neighbor who is a master Welder/ Fabricator.
He works in the Shipyards here for a Gov Contractor doing some real high end work...
He is actually assisting me in the entire conversion process.
The steering stop should make contact with the lower triple clamp correct?

Dennis
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

>|<>QBB<
951TwinXP wrote:Thanks guys...
The only thing missing was the front axle for the wheel. I guess I will order one from the dealer..Dennis
I have a spare 01 kx 125 front axel. If you want it it's yours (assuming it'll fit an 03 of course)
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

It should... I have an 01 in mine and 03 forks!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
951TwinXP

Post by 951TwinXP »

scheckaet,
That would be great... I will gladly pay you some money for it.
Just let me know how much you need.

Dennis