Damn, rotor blues.

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
MXOldtimer

Damn, rotor blues.

Post by MXOldtimer »

Thought I had everything covered to do the fork swap.
Was finishing things up today went to put the KDX rotor on the KX hub and screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeched to a dead stop.
My 06 KDX uses 8mm bolts w/ large head, KX uses a small 6mm. Now I have to come up with a front rotor, DAMN!
No riding this weekend. :mad:
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

Just drill out and tap the KX hub to accept the KDX rotor and bolts. That's what I did and it worked great.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I would just use a KX rotor, bound to be cheaper in the long run. The MX parts are usually more available.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
MXOldtimer

Post by MXOldtimer »

>|<>QBB<
kawagumby wrote:Just drill out and tap the KX hub to accept the KDX rotor and bolts. That's what I did and it worked great.
I thought about that but there isn't much meat left on that KX hub around the bolts.
I also thought about redrill'n some holes in the rotor but once again there wouldn't be much meat left on the rotor itself.

MXOldtimer

Post by MXOldtimer »

>|<>QBB<
Colorado Mike wrote:I would just use a KX rotor, bound to be cheaper in the long run. The MX parts are usually more available.
Yeah I've found a used rotor already now if I can get it for a decent price otherwise I'll just buy a new Tusk rotor, around 59 bux.
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

KX rotor/hub and KDX caliper works fine for me.
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

>|<>QBB<
MXOldtimer wrote:>|<>QBB<
kawagumby wrote:Just drill out and tap the KX hub to accept the KDX rotor and bolts. That's what I did and it worked great.
I thought about that but there isn't much meat left on that KX hub around the bolts.
I also thought about redrill'n some holes in the rotor but once again there wouldn't be much meat left on the rotor itself.

I worried about that too, but there is enough meat left to do the job. Notice that the mounting tabs are tapered, if you look at the narrowest section they seem too small, but the balance of the tab is more than adequate IMO. The slight difference in bolt diameter just isn't enough to make or break the design strength IMO. I use a tusk non-floating rotor on another bike (a kx), and I have had trouble with it developing too much axial runout...squeak, squeak, squeak. I keep having to tap it back all the time - to keep the noise down at low speeds.

Thats why I think the "floating" rotors (kx or kdx) are superior (at least with a four bolt KX hub design).

I have already put about 25 hours on the drilled and tapped KX hub, mostly hard riding (and braking) on really rough single track with tons of chop and have had no issues at all. I've also used that wheel on my KX for more aerial work.

Just my experience, FWIW...
Last edited by kawagumby on 10:13 am May 05 2007, edited 1 time in total.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
MXOldtimer

Post by MXOldtimer »

>|<>QBB<
kawagumby wrote:>|<>QBB<
MXOldtimer wrote:>|<>QBB<

I worried about that too, but there is enough meat left to do the job. Notice that the mounting tabs are tapered, if you look at the narrowest section they seem too small, but the balance of the tab is more than adequate IMO. The slight difference in bolt diameter just isn't enough to make or break the design strength IMO. I use a tusk non-floating rotor on another bike (a kx), and I have had trouble with it developing too much axial runout...squeak, squeak, squeak. I keep having to tap it back all the time.
The "floating" design is superior (at least with a four bolt design)...and I have already put about 25 hours on the drilled-out KX hub, mostly hard riding in really rough single track and have had no issues at all.

Just my experience, FWIW.

Thanks, if I don't come up with a decent priced floater than I'll get out the tap and go that route.

Thanks again
MXOldtimer

Today's brainstorm

Post by MXOldtimer »

Deleted Pic's
Last edited by MXOldtimer on 04:57 pm May 07 2007, edited 1 time in total.
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

Yet another innovative approach! :supz:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That's using your nogin! :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

Another NOBEL PEACE PRIZE Nomine :supz:
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
MXOldtimer

Post by MXOldtimer »

I forgot to follow up on this.
I had the right rotor bolts on order. When they showed up they had the over sized heads w/ correct length threads. My method worked but it was a hell of a lot of work compared to getting the correct rotor bolts and screw'n them in.

Ohhhhh well, I had fun for a few hours making those spacers. :grin:

04 KX-250 Hey.....at least it's green and smokes.
06 KDX-200 for off road play. Gone but not forgotten
07 KX-250F SOLD! I thump no more.