KX midvalve diagram

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

KX midvalve diagram

Post by Colorado Mike »

Does anyone have a picture or diagram of how the midvalve goes together?

My '03 KX125 forks were Gold valved by the previous owner, and the bladders were removed. I'm not sure if anything was done to the midvalve, since the Kawy manual simply tells you not to disassemble it and gives no picture of it.

What I've been looking for is detailed information as to how the parts go back together and their proper orientation. I still have one leg assembled, which I coud refer to, but I don't necessarily trust that they were done properly in the first place.

One specific question I have is regarding the piston itself. It has a "fin" that runs through the larger holes. Which way is up, the side that has the fin surrounded by the piston, or the side that the fin is exposed?

Thanks for any help.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

What bladder?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I thought there was a bladder in those forks originally. The manual I have shows it. The manual is actually for an '04 KX250F, but they appear to be the same forks.
Mike

'04 KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Mine are 03 KX125's and were a new takeoff... didn't have any bladders in them. :hmm:

03's were a year all on thier own as far as design....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

neato. Ever see a diagram of the midvalve?
Mike

'04 KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Actually...... no.

I want to change it to the check valve setup though... I don't need anything that fancy~
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

The piston as a recess on it for the "mid-valve spacer" to sit in that goes on the rod side. At least on my 2001's the HSC shims on the rod side have a 12mm ID and they fit over the spacer/collar.
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Thanks strider, That makes sense and helped a lot. I got them together, but still feel defeated. I had wanted to change the valving while I was changing the seals and bushings, but decided to just get the thing together and see what it's like with a known quantity of fresh oil. I'll probably try to educate myself a bit more then tune them. :roll:
Mike

'04 KDX220
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

What were the stacks that were in there? Just for reference.
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)