RTT stabilizer

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
it175
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

RTT stabilizer

Post by it175 »

Took a flyer and bought this off Ebay http://www.rttmotorsports.com/ Thanks ski!! But somthing ALL should know is that there triple clamp is held on by a cap nut that fits the K X stem ONLY. Not the kdx stem.

But a quick call to RTT and they are sending me a proper cap nut ($25) for the KDX stem. :prayer:

Now there is an issue with the pin clamp. Sh_t.

Will keep all posted as how well it works out. :supz:
If you ride OVER your head. You WILL land on IT!!!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I figured that the clamp-on pin wouldn't fit. If it were me, I'd cut it and then weld it to the frame at the correct spot. I've had nothing but problems with clamp-on styles with the Scotts unit.

Photos when you get-er-done please!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
it175
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by it175 »

Ski, What kind of problems with clamp on pins. I am new to this :mrgreen: Stabilizer thing.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Mine is clamp-on and I have never had it budge.... :neutral:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

They tend to flex more, and they don't stay where you have clamped them down in a good and hard hit. I've been on the trail with my tools out trying to retighten that thing up after a hard fall and it's moved off center. With a stabilizer that has a return-to-center set with zero resistance, center is pretty important.

The flex allows for turning of your steering before any dampning takes place. Not good. A welded stem is a much more stable platform and can be heavily gusseted to prevent flexing and of course, it won't move when you dump the bike.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

>|<>QBB<
skipro3 wrote: The flex allows for turning of your steering before any dampning takes place. Not good. A welded stem is a much more stable platform and can be heavily gusseted to prevent flexing and of course, it won't move when you dump the bike.
UP-FRONT - I've never run a stabilizer on a dirt bike and thus don't have any experience with the pro and cons associated with bolt on verses weld-on. So any of my comment should be just a WAG and curosity.

I have heard of clamp on's moving occasionally but when you say ..." A welded stem ....... can be heavily gusseted to prevent flexing...." it seems to me like you could be compromising either the frame (depending upon the welding and gusseting) or the stabilizer. Any issues in your experience on this? i.e. fail point moved to stabilizer unit - blown seals or mounting?
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
it175
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by it175 »

At least with this clamp it has a bolt that squeezes around the stem collar on the bike :mrgreen: . Would adding a couple of set / locking screws help prevent it from rotating during a crash.

I would rather not weld it on. :sad:

Come to think of it, I would rather not crash either. :prayer:
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

A set screw might help, but it's still a longer stem than a welded one. I don't understand the concern over welding a stem to the frame. Scotts makes them that way and it's not a hard thing to weld. A good welding machine won't compromise the frame either. With the front end off, it's very easy and safe to do. (Remove the gas tank first though) Check Scotts site for what a welded stem looks like. The gusseting is very robust and will provide a more positive reaction for dampening. The bolt-on is a long, spindley stem that will flex with the resistance to the dampener.

Finish up the welding with some PJ1 paint and it will look and perform better than any bolt-on ever possibly could.

****EDIT****
I recall that damper was under the upper bar clamp. Maybe the stem isn't as long as on a conventionally mounted Scotts.
Jerry

IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

>|<>QBB<
skipro3 wrote: I don't understand the concern over welding a stem to the frame. Scotts makes them that way and it's not a hard thing to weld. A good welding machine won't compromise the frame either.
Jerry - I misunderstood what you were saying. I thought you were indicating additional welded gusseting to the existing bolt on stem. I agree with you comments on both the Scotts "weld on stem" and the idea that a weld of this nature would not compromise the frame. :oops:
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
it175
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by it175 »

Finally got the RTT Stabilizer on the KDX. Please bear with me...Pic's and description of install are coming. I'm also learning how to post pics for the first time also. :mrgreen: Image

First off, THIS IS NOT A EASY MOD TO DO IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE STUFF!!! :shock:
Last edited by it175 on 10:10 am May 31 2007, edited 1 time in total.
it175
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by it175 »

This stabilizer is from a 2004 KX 250. The post clamp you see on the left has a 60mm inside diameter to fit the outside diameter of the KX steering stem frame tube.

A shim needed to be made to make up the 55mm KDX steering stem frame tube diameter. (pic on right)

RTT does make a pin clamp that would fit a steering stem of 55mm in diameter, about 100 bucks. :shock:
Last edited by it175 on 11:32 am Jul 18 2007, edited 2 times in total.
it175
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by it175 »

it175
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by it175 »

This is what the post clamp ends up looking like. I dog eared the ends to prevent the shim from rotating. :grin:

MORE TO FOLLOW!!
it175
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by it175 »

Reworked the post clamp to fit between the stem and the gas tank. Seems to be a little more room with a KX tank.

I had to cut the post off and then cut a half inch off the base to give me the clearance I needed to make it fit.

it175
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by it175 »

Another pic.
it175
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by it175 »

Finished part on the 200. There is a piece of foam rubber between the tank and post. I will also try to shim the gas tank farther back in the frame,when I get a chance. But the way it is now,barely any contact between tank and post.

it175
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by it175 »

m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Nice pictures...does it work?
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
it175
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by it175 »

Another issue with this stabilizer is it is also the upper triple clamp.
With the pinch points for the forks @ 8 and 4 o"clock, 2 of the 4 bolts had to be replaced or they would hit the gas tank. No big deal finding ones with shorter heads.

it175
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by it175 »

More to follow!

AND, :prayer: :partyman: :supz: :grin: YES IT DOES!!!