What to do with Stock Forks after Conversion?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

What to do with Stock Forks after Conversion?

Post by Jeb »

Wasn't sure if this belonged here or in the Genital Q&A . . .

What did you guys do with your stock forks/wheel?

My stock rig is in great shape. I guess I could try to post their availability in the Parts and Bikes section, maybe the wheel + axle + forks + tripmeter as a whole replacement, but I wonder if there'd be many takers since the tendency is to get OUT of the stockers and into the USD forks. Of course, Ebay would be a route.

'Just wondering if there's a bunch of KDX riders with stock forks gathering dust in their garage . . . or did they find a loving home somewhere.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Sold them to Fredette for $175
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Me too.

Sold Jeff the forks and wheel assy. I sold the brake assy on eBay.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Sold them to Fredette for $175
:shock:
grump99

Post by grump99 »

I kept all my original stuff intact. That way I can swap it back to stock when I eventually sell the bike. I can then sell the kx stuff as a "bolt-on" conversion.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

You know what I did with mine....
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

same here sold to the Kdx man for $200 with triple tree.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

He's offered $250 for the forks and the wheel . . .

I figured that's better than what I'll get off of ebay
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

>|<>QBB<
Jeb wrote:He's offered $250 for the forks and the wheel . . .

Thats a very fair deal for the KDX stuff. My forks (w/XR springs), rim, axle, and disc were mint (~500 miles) and I even bought a new front tire w/heavy duty tube to help sell the wheel assembly and I ended up breaking everything down to sell. I would have been $$$ ahead to sell to FRP for $250. (I did sell the forks to FRP for ~150 as I recall)
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
IdahoCharley wrote:>|<>QBB<
Jeb wrote:He's offered $250 for the forks and the wheel . . .

Thats a very fair deal for the KDX stuff. My forks (w/XR springs), rim, axle, and disc were mint (~500 miles) and I even bought a new front tire w/heavy duty tube to help sell the wheel assembly and I ended up breaking everything down to sell. I would have been $$$ ahead to sell to FRP for $250. (I did sell the forks to FRP for ~150 as I recall)
Yeah . . . I'll be shipping them out tomorrow. Jeff said there are times when he would pay $200 just for the forks but he has many sets at this time - lots of mods being done I suppose (or bikes getting parted out).

'Sounds like a nice guy . . .

But I can't complain - I've spent less than $350 for everything (including shipping and odds & ends), so that's $100 for mod. That's hard to beat! Just took a little elbow grease and some time lookin'

CLICK FOR PICS!
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

Wow, only $100?? You're coming out ahead:
$425 for forks, triples, and wheel
$35 for fork guards
$15 for seal savers
$80 for new Scotts brace
$125 for new electronic odometer
...so I'm at $680 right now.

If you factor in $160 for revalve (I can't do base valve and mid valve myself), the total comes up to $840 for me. And if I respring them, the total goes up to $955.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I've probably forgotten something, but those are the big parts. Jeff Fredette said he MIGHT be able to give me $150 for my forks. That helps some, but this has been one helluva expensive mod.

Frankly, I'm not sure it was worth it. I can't even ride my bike now because it is too stiff, and I don't have the money lying around for the revalve. :sad: I'm pretty annoyed with the whole deal right now. I'm tired of pouring money into that bike.
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

I'm planning on selling mine to Jeff too.

Wanaride:

Total cost on mine:
forks, triple tree, wheel and spacer: $389
fork guard and seal saver (MONKEYBUTT): $30
fork rebuild kit (ROCKY MOUNTAIN): $88
stem swap: $35
oil: $15

total: $557

of course I don't have the Scotts brace or odometer
So we're in the same boat :sad:
If you factor in $160 for revalve (I can't do base valve and mid valve myself), the total comes up to $840 for me. And if I respring them, the total goes up to $955
why can't you do that yourself? You can easily mod your shim stack yourself, (with help from the guys here), learn in the process AND save a lot.
I can't even ride my bike now because it is too stiff
Are you sure it's not a combination of binding issue, new seals, oil level...?

Don't give up man, it took me awhile to set up mine, you'll like it when you're there! :supz:
Maybe you should start a new post, I'm sure somebody could help you

Sorry about the hijack
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

You can keep thinking your in a helpless state.... or you could grow some coconuts and flip you bike over and take out the base valves and try your hand at modifying the shim stack as per several posts.

Half empty is no way to live! :roll:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

Well, it's good to know I'm not alone in the cost department.

I don't have a problem taking out the shim stack, but a fellow poster (name withheld in case I misquote him) told me that most of the revalving value comes from the midvalve, which he described as in the internals of the fork.

I'm not helpless, I'M PISSED. I've read the posts and I can modify the base valve, but take the rest of the forks apart to get to the midvalve??

The only thing half empty is my wallet (more than half now)...

The forks are "brand new" so I guess they should be stiff. What the hell, I guess I can stop whining and at least modify the base valves and see where that gets me.
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

The forks are "brand new" so I guess they should be stiff. What the hell, I guess I can stop whining and at least modify the base valves and see where that gets me.
there u go that's the spirit!

Note: tearing the fork down to get to the midvavle is not that hard, I did mine for the first time and didn't screw anything up :wink:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

:supz: AND are you sure this "stiffness" is not "STICTION"?

What are your triple tree torque values? Question your assembly method! These make a huge difference in ride! I had to go over mine 4 times until I was satisfied with the assembly process.

These ain't your momma's forks! :grin:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

You know, I watched KX forks for some time, bidding low and holding out.

I started "watching" different forks - Yammi, Kawi, Honda, Suzuki - noticing that winning bids for KX and CR forks were generally higher. SUPPLY AND DEMAND!! My take (right or wrong) is the CRs were favored by the KTM crowd (believe it or not), the KX forks by the KDX crowd.

Then I started to compare fork mfgs, sizes, specs, etc on some of the suspension webpages and noticed a lot of commonality in the forks. KYB 46mm forks were common on mx bike during the late 90s. In fact, the hubs on the following bikes used the same wheel bearings:

CR125/250/500 - '95 - '01
KX125/250 - '93 - '01
KX500 - '94 - '01
YZ 125/250 - '96 - '02
YZ400/WR400 - '98
YZ400/426 - '99 - '01
RM125/250 - '99 - '01

There may be some differences in the axles and such, but it seemed there ought to be an opportunity . . . some risk, but it seemed worth taking.

Summing it all up (shipping included):

Forks, wheel, axle - $165
Guards, Mounts - $75
MxTech - $70
Seals, misc h'ware - $60
Bushings - $0 (given to me for TTR advice!)

That's $370 - ok, I was off a little - balance will be $120 after Jeff sends me a check.

I would caution anyone that reads this and decides to start bidding away - please do your homework. I found that if you ask the sellers questions about dimensions, etc many seem very helpful and will measure things for you. I asked for things like disc dimensions, held off to ask another seller selling the same thing (or nearly the same) the same question.

Takes time but you learn a little in the process

:grin:

CLICK FOR PICS!