Leaking fork seals

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
grump99

Leaking fork seals

Post by grump99 »

One of my '96 kx 250 forks is starting to leak oil pretty badly. Can someone recommend a good place to buy a replacement set? I assume I will need oil seals, dust seals and bushings.

I found this kit on e-bay it seems to have everything needed for a rebuild. Has anyone used the pivot works seals before?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pivot-Wo ... otohosting

The last time I installed a set of seals, they leaked anyway, so I am a little gun-shy. If I decide to have someone do the work for me, what would be a reasonable price for parts and labor?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

I replaced everything on mine, got it from rocky mountain for $68.99, it was my 1st time and so far no leak
It looks like it's the same as the on on ebay.
good luck
grump99

Post by grump99 »

Cool, thanks. I am leaning towards that kit, because it includes everything needed. Did you buy a seal driver or make one from pvc? I have a nice motion-pro seal driver, but it is the wrong size. I might just bite the bullet and buy one of those too.
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

BUY SEAL SAVERSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
grump99

Post by grump99 »

Yeah, I bought and installed seal savers when I got the fork this past fall:grin:. However, the previous owner apparently didn't use them. When I pried off the dust seals, there was a ton of dirt and gunk underneath. I cleaned it all out and used the 35 mm film trick to stop the leaking for a while. I went out and checked the bike the other day and the oil had accumulated under the seal saver. I might give the film trick one more try before I tear into them.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

35 mm film trick
what's dat? :blink:
will it work with digital too? :lol:

I used a piece of pvc for the seal driver (make sure you get the right size, can be a pain to use 1 dat's too big... :roll: )
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

for you all running seal savers dont forget to pull them up and wash under them when cleaning your bike, they work as great filters, the sand and fine dirt gets under and packs right in. when riding in mud and wet conditions.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

>|<>QBB<
krazyinski wrote:for you all running seal savers dont forget to pull them up and wash under them when cleaning your bike, they work as great filters, the sand and fine dirt gets under and packs right in. when riding in mud and wet conditions.
Yeah good advice. So everyone don't forget to pull back your forkskins and wash the dirt out that packs up under there. :blink: :kick:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
grump99

Post by grump99 »

>|<>QBB<
scheckaet wrote:
35 mm film trick
what's dat? :blink:
will it work with digital too? :lol:
:mrgreen: :prayer:

You take some old 35 mm film negative and work it in-between the leaking seal and the inner fork tube. Sometimes it will dislodge dirt and stop the leaking. It worked for me a few months ago, but now the leak is back.