So I'm looking at some 02 KX250 forks...

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
thebleakness

So I'm looking at some 02 KX250 forks...

Post by thebleakness »

These ones right here http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawasaki ... dZViewItem

It says that they are valved for a 185-195lb rider, how hard/expensive would it be for me to re-do it for my weight of 145 w/o gear? I sent him a message asking if he would sell the entire front end (forks, clamps, tire, caliper etc.) and how much he would want for it if he did so.

Does this look like a decent deal? I've got the money right now and I could just drive and pick it up (he's about 1 hour away from me). The KX conversion looks to be the next step in my upgrading process.

Whadda think? Should I go for it?
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

Depends on what you can do. I'm sure some of those codgers up there have some suspension skills. New springs are around $84.00. Suspension shops usually charge around $300 an end to re-valve.

Those along with the front rim, axle, and triples, should be good for your conversion.

I sent him an email as well....Not for the front end stuff though. Spare cylinder, carb and other stuff could be useful for me. :mrgreen:
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

He said that hes got the whole assembly and that he would end the auctions early if no one bids on the other items. What would be a reasonable price for everything?

Buck has told me he would help with the suspension work. I just wasn't sure how much it would cost, I haven't on this sorts of stuff...

I was going to sell my KDX front to Fredette if he still did that. Will he take just the parts that aren't used in the conversion or will he only take the complete asssembly? What roughly does he give most people for this?

Sorry the multitude of questions, I'm getting all giddy inside. :supz: :lol:
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I had a 2002 KX250. There's bladders in them forks, so you will be needing to overhaul them. Not that it's very hard to do if I can do it. If you got the whole front assembly for $400 or so, that would be a good price.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

I agree with Skipro on the price question.

Do you know what he had MX-Tech set them up for? Off-road or MX? JW from Mx-Tech does good work IMO on setting suspensions up for off-road semi-aggressive to agressive riders but they are notably a little firmer than some tuners off-road set-ups. (I personally like them except in the very slow rock gardens). JC from the East coast area MX-Tech sets them up a little more geared to the particular area and rider input from what I've been told.

If the forks are set-up for off-road now and you respring them for your weight the valving should close and be able to be dialed in with the clickers. It does depend upon whether or not the approach was strong springs w/ light valving or lighter springs w/heavier valving approach but if you can identify the shop which performed the work - they should be able to identify the springs that will with your weight.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

I'm going to have to pass on this right now. I would love to get KX forks but I decided to race the U.S. Laughlin Hare Scrambles and thats a lot of $$$. Another deal will come around when I can afford it. It's difficult on a high school budget, between the racing and the upgrading.

On a side note though, I get to race a Gas Gas 200. Should be very interesting, I've had many chances to ride it just never did. I'm looking forward to my first GG experience this weekend. :supz: :cool: