Long rebound adjuster rod packing??

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Long rebound adjuster rod packing??

Post by strider80 »

Is the long rebound adjuster rod (18" long skinny aluminum tube) supposed to have some sort of packing/grease in it? I blew out the rods with compressed air and some kind of nasty grease type stuff came out. Are they supposed to be sealed with something?
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
grump99

Post by grump99 »

Mine didn't have any grease ('96 kx 250). Sounds like really old fork oil maybe?
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

That rod is the oil path up to the rebound adjustment clicker. Anything but fork oil in that would be bad, undesired, not good, down right naughty in the site of the Lord. This is yet another reason that all used parts bought without knowing the original owner should be thoroughly checked, like you are doing.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

This stuff, was about an inch long, black and almost solid, it would mush like toothpaste. I can't imagine how fork oil would turn it to that (maybe left over junk from the manufacturing process?????), it does not surprise me though given the nastyness if the rest of the parts, but I am glad it is out of my forks now!
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'This stuff, was about an inch long, black and almost solid, it would mush like toothpaste.'

barf!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

I can't imagine what the forks felt like to the previous owner.

I am glad I only paid $33 for them on ebay, I would have been pissed if I paid $100+ for them. I will have about $75 (some used parts (fork caps), new bushings and seals, thanks Ryan, 5w Amsoil) into them by the time I get them back together. I think they will work fine, everything cleaned up nice with no mechanical damage inside.

I am going to use them as a tuning set to compliment my 2001's, I may end up selling them once I get the 2001's setup the way I want them.
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)