Stainless steel braided brake lines

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
KDXer
Supporting Member

Stainless steel braided brake lines

Post by KDXer »

I have just bought a S/S brakeline kit of eBay for what I think is a steal (approx $47us shipped for the complete kit, front and rear plus all fittings). He has a fair few of these kits by the looks so I just thought I'd share the wealth.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... &rd=1&rd=1

Oh yeah, he also does fork seals and bearings. :mrgreen:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

I just did the same, a steel at that price.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

funny funny krazy, but how will this help?
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Stock hoses are made from rubber and expand under braking. Hold onto the front brakeline and pump your brakes, you will see what I mean.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

Do KX lines fit KDX's? Do you need a KX front caliper?
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Nope KX and KDX calipers are only slightly different. If you go into the gallery and search for caliper, someone has the 2 side by side for comparison.

strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

Front and rear are the same? I thought the KX and KDX fronts had different brake line routing?
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

>|<>QBB<
strider80 wrote:Front and rear are the same? I thought the KX and KDX fronts had different brake line routing?
OK I'm pretty sure the rear is a no brainer. The front not so sure. The banjos should be the same. KX routing is required due to the extra legnth of the KX line where it wraps down and under the fork leg. Also not sure about the caliper, I may need to get some machined off (so its the same as a KX caliper) but thats no problem for me.

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Hey Trev, Have you received yours yet? I recall buying a set from the same guy. The front line was not routed the long way; under the fork leg. It was routed the CR style. (Which I preferred anyway)

Also, yes, these do make a BIG difference in braking effort and fade. When you use your brakes hard and often, they tend to warm up the brake fluid. The warm fluid causes the stock hoses to stretch duruing hard braking and the lever either has to be pulled in more, or with more force to keep the braking pressure up. With a SS line, once the brakes are bleed properly, it will take just a 1 finger effort to use your brakes and that won't change as the brakes and assembly warm up. Out west we have long downhills, 1000's of feet vertical drop over miles of trails. The long braking action with stock lines will eventually fatique out your hand and cause undue arm pump as well.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

>|<>QBB<
skipro3 wrote:Hey Trev, Have you received yours yet? I recall buying a set from the same guy. The front line was not routed the long way; under the fork leg. It was routed the CR style. (Which I preferred anyway)
Nah I haven't, I ordered them last night. I will email him and ask for the CR routing as I too prefer that. Thanks Jerry. :mrgreen:

Oh Jerry just wondering if you could confirm or dismiss whether or not the rear lines are a 'no-brainer' ??

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I don't know Trev. I had the hand operated rear brake with my auto clutch and never used the supplied cable. My guess is that it will be a tad long due to the longer swingarm of the KX vs the KDX. Long shouldn't be a problem. At least not as much as Short!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Awesome, thanks a million buddy. :wink: The auto clutch :supz: comes later in the year so it will be made redundant then anyway (much like Raule' if ya catch him). :lol: I can flog it off to my mate with the 2000 KX250 then anyway.

nykdxer

Post by nykdxer »

I also ordered from the same guy ,the kx rear fits ok alittle longer but just put a bigger loop in it towards the shock.
04 kdx 200
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Was your front one suitable for CR routing ??

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Let us know how all this turns out for ya Trev.... :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I shall. Should be a pretty simple swap. :razz: :mrgreen:

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

For the record I contacted the seller and he is making them to whatever size I request for the same price. If you are going to buy some, to be safe, email Nik first and double check that it is no problem.

nykdxer

Post by nykdxer »

I used the kx style went around and under
04 kdx 200
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Cool, thanks.

Heres his details BTW.

Nik Walker at info@pyramid-parts.com

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

These guys are one of the best suppliers I have ever dealt with, bar none. :supz: :supz: :prayer: :prayer:

More info in this thread.
http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3895

IF you need any of the following you'd be crazy not to give these guys a thought. :wink:

All Kayaba fork oil seals
http://stores.channeladvisor.com/pyrami ... %20Models/

All KX fork dust wiper seals
http://stores.channeladvisor.com/pyrami ... /Kawasaki/

KDX steering bearing kits
http://stores.channeladvisor.com/pyrami ... asaki/KDX/

Kawa, Suzi, Yami and Honda S/S brakelines
http://stores.channeladvisor.com/pyrami ... e%20Hoses/

KDX front wheel bearings

KX front wheel bearings
http://stores.channeladvisor.com/pyrami ... wasaki/KX/

KDX rear wheel bearings