2003 KX 125, kx 250 forks?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
TopperHarley
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

2003 KX 125, kx 250 forks?

Post by TopperHarley »

I just purchases a set of 2003 KX forks for my 05 220 on Ebay. The guy who I got them from did not know if the bike he was paritng out was a 250 or a 125. apparently when he received the bike it had allready been partially stripped. If the forks are from an 03 kx 125, the .40 springs would probably work for me and my riding style. On the other hand, if forks are from an 03 kx250, the should have the .44 springs in them and would be a bit stiff. Is there any way I can tell besides trying them out. How do you tell what rate a stock spring is? I dont suppose they are marked, are they?
If you run into Heidi, have her look me up in her little black book and give me a call.
Im feelin a little wild today.
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/GATEWAY2-STROKE
2005 KDX220 mine
2003 KDX220 mine(under construction)
1998 KDX220 1/2 Brother-in-laws, soon his own
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I have 03 KX forks on mine, when I took them apart, the springs had .43 etched into one end of them....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
TopperHarley
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by TopperHarley »

At mx tech.com they have the 03 125 with .40 springs and the 250 with .44 springs. I contacted the guy I got the forks from and he says they are out of an 03 KX250. got any info on that?
If you run into Heidi, have her look me up in her little black book and give me a call.
2005 KDX220 mine
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

.44's stock. But there were spring options more than likely...

http://www.racetech.com/evalving/englis ... me=english
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

TopperHarley
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by TopperHarley »

Ok I found the info for the 03kx250 on the race tech page. looks like they came with .44 spring in them. I weigh in at 205 geared up with a donut in my mouth, fredette says .40 for my weight but I think that refers to stock kdx forks. on MX tech they call for .43 to .45 for my weight depending on the type of riding. So I guess I should be ok with the .44's. I could allways make adjustments with the oil weight/level and shims. About the height issue in the front end, have you tried fitting a kx 125 or 250 shock in there.I think they are an inch or so longer than the KDX stocker shock. Just woundering if this would remedy the difference a bit.
2005 KDX220 mine
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

I could send you a picture of the .43 spring and you could compare the coil count my thinking is the .40 would have less coils.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
TopperHarley
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by TopperHarley »

thats interesting, for the stock KDX forks, mx tech calls for .44 springs for my weight where as Fredette calls for a .40 for my weight. :rolleyes: which way do I go?????????? I guess either one would be an improvement over whats in the stocker forks.
2005 KDX220 mine
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Or... you could pull them apart and see for yourself! :grin:

Race Tech and MX Tech always rate high! My .43's are too heavy and I will be buying some .40's here shortly. The .43's don't allow any sag....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

TopperHarley
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by TopperHarley »

"I could send you a picture of the .43 spring and you could compare the coil count my thinking is the .40 would have less coils."

that makes sense. I wasnt sure if the rate was made different by harder/softer, thicher/ thinner metals.
2005 KDX220 mine
TopperHarley
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by TopperHarley »

Inda, is that why your front end tends to float?
Q: I am assuming that the springs in the stocker kdx forks are different and not interchangeable with USD forks. I have a set of XR 400 spring that are suppose to be .40 (couldnt find any markings on them.) I got them for the stock KDX forks. Just wondering if they could be used in the USD kx forks. Another Q: dont the 03 kx 125/250 forks have a bladder in them? I thought I came across a thread where the person was saying that their bladders were disabled for some good reason. any idea whats up with the bladder thing? good or bad?
2005 KDX220 mine
TopperHarley
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by TopperHarley »

"Race Tech and MX Tech always rate high! My .43's are too heavy and I will be buying some .40's here shortly. The .43's don't allow any sag...."

Isnt this a little bit UMMMMMMMMM missleading um er somethin???? :?
2005 KDX220 mine
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

No bladders in the 03's... thank goodness.

Yep... that's why my frontend floats... gotta stop that!

As far as what springs fit what... I think the KX USD springs have to be pretty presise in measurement vs. say a KDX that uses a spacer.

03 KX springs are 43.5x461mm
KDX springs are 35.8x472mm

Pretty big difference....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

>|<>QBB<
TopperHarley wrote:"Race Tech and MX Tech always rate high! My .43's are too heavy and I will be buying some .40's here shortly. The .43's don't allow any sag...."

Isnt this a little bit UMMMMMMMMM missleading um er somethin???? :?
Why is that? :hmm:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

TopperHarley
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by TopperHarley »

not the part about what you said, the fact that race tech and mx tech tell you to purchase springs that are too stiff.
2005 KDX220 mine
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

They don't deal with off-road, trail riders much. If you notice...they give the same rate for MX..... PLEASE!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

TopperHarley
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by TopperHarley »

I guess if everyone end up purchasing tow or three sets of spring rather that one. its a pretty good moneymaker
2005 KDX220 mine
TopperHarley
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by TopperHarley »

at mx tech they rate the enduro spring a fer kg lighter. But still a kg or two too high.
2005 KDX220 mine
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

It's easy to guage once you rode what you got. I'm right about 200# right now and .43's are too heavy. 42's would be a stupid purchase so I am going with the .40's
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

TopperHarley
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by TopperHarley »

Ok Inda, Ill let you go now. thanks for all your input. Think I might do a little mornig ride at the Cahokia Creek Dirt Riders Club outside if white City Illinos. Get a seat time in before the superbowl. cheers :partyman:
2005 KDX220 mine